New kids on the block

Pi Phi breaks ground on Fredonia

Almost 200 alumnae, students, and family members attended the groundbreaking for a new Pi Beta Phi house during Homecoming, just hours after the dedication of the Hayden-Clark Alumni Center.

After years of wishing and planning, Pi Beta Phi will join other Greek houses on Fraternity Row in Fall 2012. Ground was broken for the 15,000-square-foot house in October.

“The front door will sit at the corner of Fredonia and Institute. We’ve been blessed with an Institute address so the legacy of Pi Phis on Institute will continue,” a smiling STEPHANIE RUMP MUNO ’91, president of the chapter’s House Corporation, told the crowd. The current sorority house at 1004 N. Institute is across from Baker Hall on Main Street.

Pi Phi alumnae began looking into relocating across campus about 20 years ago, but were stymied because building sites were nonexistent. “We were thrilled when Gary Anna (Bradley vice president for business affairs) called about five years ago to say they had a lot for us,” said Patti Bash, adviser to the sorority’s Alumnae Advisory Committee (AAC). Alumnae then launched a major fundraising campaign. 

The new house will accommodate 33 actives in 15 double rooms and three singles. A chapter room to seat 100-plus members, two kitchens, a library, meeting rooms, an elevator, and an apartment for the house director are features of the three-level facility. A $50,000 estate gift from VIRGIL BOUCHER, MA ’67 named the living room in honor of his late daughter JUDY BOUCHER CHAMBERLAIN ’61. An anonymous $25,000 gift named the Lambda Phi dining room to honor the local sorority that became Pi Beta Phi in 1947.

At that time the oldest organization on campus, Lambda Phi originated in 1901. Pi Beta Phi was founded in Monmouth on April 28, 1867, and was the first women’s fraternity in the nation.

— Gayle Erwin McDowell ’77

Hillel opens new doors

Hillel adviser Dr. Seth Katz secures a box containing a mezuzah, a handwritten parchment scroll, to the doorpost of the new Hillel house on Fredonia Avenue, dedicated last September. Jewish visitors often touch the box as they enter the house.

Visit bradley.edu/hilltopics/ go/hillel to learn more about the Hillel house.

Hillel’s new home officially opened at the corner of Fredonia and Glenwood avenues on September 21, 2011, after more than a year of construction. Following the dedication of the 4,200-square-foot brick structure, guests viewed the renovated facility’s common areas, kosher kitchens, and spacious sanctuary. Students are able to relax, study, eat special meals, and attend services at the new Hillel house. Rabbi Daniel Bogard is now on staff part-time. 

Just 90 miles from Bradley, the first Hillel met in 1923 in rented quarters above a barbershop near the University of Illinois. Bradley’s own Hillel chapter for Jewish students began 24 years later.

 


2012 Job Fairs

Employers can register now for the 2012 job fairs at explore.bradley.edu/scc

Spring Job and Internship Fair
February 8, 2012, 11 a.m.-3 p.m.

Social Service, Recreation and Education Fair
February 23, 2012, 2:30 p.m.-5:30 p.m.

Fall Job and Internship Fair
September 20, 2012, 11 a.m.-3:30 p.m.

Nursing and Physical Therapy Fair
November 13, 2012, 12 p.m.-3 p.m.

Recruit Bradley 2012
Online networks always available

  • Post jobs and internships
  • Schedule campus interviews
  • Network directly with students