SBDC Accepting Senior Project Applications
By Ken Klotz, Director-Turner Center/Programs
Interested in market research on customer needs? Considering whether to launch a new product or service? Want to create a growth strategy for your business? If so, the Bradley University “Senior Consulting Project Program” is the solution. The Program, created more than 25 years ago, is designed to provide senior business majors with an opportunity to apply their accumulated knowledge to a “real world” business situation at no cost to the participating business. We are seeking applications for the Spring 2013 semester.
Every senior-level Bradley business major, as a graduation requirement, must participate on a consulting team and work on a specific problem for a local business. On average, each consulting team spends over 300 hours on their respective project. The project includes a complete industry analysis, a survey of customers or potential customers, and specific recommendations that address the company’s concerns. The time commitment for the business is approximately 1-2 hours each week to meet with team members. Each project culminates in a detailed report and oral presentation to the client. Prior participating companies have estimated the value of the project to be in excess of $10,000.
Examples of past projects include:
- customer satisfaction/needs survey, which have proven useful in determining product/service offerings, pricing, etc;
- feasibility studies to determine whether to expand into new locations or new product/service lines;
- analyzing current marketing efforts and providing suggestions to get better results for the promotion dollar;
- designing a marketing plan; and
- strategic planning. Other project suggestions are welcome.
Every project is supervised by a business management professor. The projects will begin in early February 2013 and conclude in May. Companies of any size can participate. For further information or to obtain an application, please call the Small Business Development Center at (309) 677-2992 or apply online at www.bradley.edu/turnercenter/scp.