ACS Grant Funding
Because this workshop is funded through the generosity and full support of ACS and a Local Section Innovative Project Grant, the registration fee is only $20. Refreshments and a boxed lunch will be provided.
Overview of Program Goals
- Improve chemistry education in central Illinois
- Promote networking among participants, who are all recipients of post-secondary education and potential future chemistry instructors themselves - either formally or informally.
- Facilitate information exchange about teaching in the college chemistry curriculum
- Explore the relationship between high chemistry and college chemistry education
The morning portion of the workshop will feature sessions focused on chemistry curriculum discussions in which all attendees will be active participants. We will offer different sessions based on the attendees’ interests. Participants in each session will have the opportunity to briefly describe the teaching strategies and standards they employ in their classroom and laboratory courses, and to distribute their course syllabi.
During the lunch session, attendees will have the opportunity to view chemistry-education posters provided by fellow participants.
After lunch, the workshop will focus on demonstrations in the chemistry curriculum. Participants will be solicited to perform and describe the pedagogy of safe demonstrations and will be asked to provide short written summaries of their demonstrations for distribution. All attendees will be provided with a “care package” of safe demonstration items for use in their own teaching and outreach programs.
- Have the opportunity to share their personal approach to chemistry education
- Learn how their peers approach chemistry education
- Learn how members of other areas of education approach chemistry
- Have the opportunity to share effective chemistry demonstrations with others
- Learn effective chemistry demonstrations from others
- Be encouraged to form joint high school and college learning communities focused on furthering the discussions begun at the workshop