All children entering 1st - 3rd grades in the fall of 2013 are eligible for World of Wonder. We will determine students' eligibility for the 4th - 8th grade program based on objective measures and professional judgment. The selection procedure is intended to be inclusive, not exclusive.
In determining eligibility, Institute personnel consider these questions: "Will this student benefit from the classes?" and "Is this student described by this definition of gifted and talented children?"
- Gifted and talented children are those children whose mental development is accelerated beyond the average or who have demonstrated a specific aptitude or talent. They have demonstrated exceptional ability in academic subjects, high level thought processes, divergent thinking, or creativity.
- Children who are gifted or talented may display some or all of the following traits: learn easily, show initiative, enjoy learning, work independently, offer unusual insights, develop many interests, communicate effectively, or solve problems creatively.
Eligibility Guidelines (for students entering 4th - 8th grades)
Students must fulfill one of the following criteria:
- Enrollment in a gifted or talented program within the current academic year.
- Achievement test score of one grade level above current grade level, according to national norms.
- IQ score of 120 or above.
- Exemplary classroom performance as indicated by the most recent report card and a recommendation from a teacher or principal.
A student who does not meet any of the guidelines indicated above should submit an application form. We will review the application and determine if the student will benefit from participation. Homeschoolers may submit an essay detailing why they would like to attend.