Department Chair & Professor
Baker Hall 427
Ph.D., University of Illinois at Chicago
M.S., Accountancy, DePaul University
B.S., Loyola University of Chicago
Dr. Petravick currently teaches undergraduate and graduate courses in auditing and computer assisted audit techniques. He is the coordinator of Bradley's Internal Audit Education Partnership program.
Outside the classroom, he serves as the faculty co-advisor for Bradley’s chapter of Beta Alpha Psi, the international honorary organization for accounting majors. This organization provides numerous opportunities for students to engage in community service and professional development programs. The international office of Beta Alpha Psi has regularly recognized the chapter as a superior chapter. Additionally, it has been recognized three times as a gold chapter.
The students in the Foster College of Business have recognized him as an outstanding academic advisor (2001, 2010) and student organization advisor (1999, 2007, 2010, 2012). The international office of Beta Alpha Psi recognized him as an outstanding faculty advisor in 2001. He has also received awards for teaching excellence from both the Foster College of Business and DePaul University. In 2010, he received the Illinois CPA Society's Outstanding Accounting Educator Award.
Dr. Petravick conducts research on the uses of technology to improve accounting and auditing. He has published over 20 papers in journals such as The Journal of Accountancy, Strategic Finance, The CPA Journal, and Internal Auditing. Additionally, he has been a speaker on auditing and technology related subjects at several meetings hosted by the Illinois CPA Society and Institute of Internal Auditors.
Johnson, S. L., Petravick, G. P., Petravick, S. P. (2015). Howie’s Café Caper: A Case Study In Employee Embezzlement And Forensic Accounting (January 2015 ed., vol. 3). Journal of Legal Issues and Cases in Business. http://www.aabri.com/manuscripts/142016.pdf [Published: January (1st Quarter/Winter) 2015, Submitted: July 2013]
Petravick, S. P., "Curriculum Development - Teaching Scripting with ACL," Sponsored by Institute of Internal Auditors, Private, $3,000.00. (January 2011 - October 2011).
- Petravick, S. P., IL CPA Society Year End Meeting, "CPA Exam Update," Illinois CPA Society. (May, 2012).
- Petravick, S. P., IL CPA Society Year End Meeting, "CPA Exam Update," Illinois CPA Society. (May, 2011).
Practice in Field
Corporate and Organizational Board Memberships:
- VP - Central Illinois Chapter, Illinois CPA Society
- Webmaster, Institute of Internal Auditors
- Board of Governors, Institute of Internal Auditors
Leadership in Academic Societies
- Board Member, Illinois Board of Examiners, 2012 - Present
- Board Member, Institute of Internal Auditors, Central Illinois Chapter, 2012 - Present
- Officer, Vice President, Illinois CPA Society Central Chapter, 2008 - 2012
- Conference Attendance, AACSB Accounting Accreditation Update, AACSB, 2013
- Conference Attendance, Accounting Program Leaders Group Annual Meeting, American Accounting Association, 2013
- Conference Attendance, Internal Audit Educators Conference, Institute of Internal Auditors, 2012
- Conference Attendance, Internal Audit Education Partnership Program Leadership Conference, Institute of Internal Auditors, 2011
- Conference Attendance, Internal Audit Education Partnership Leadership Conference, Institute of Internal Auditors, 2010
Dr. Petravick has worked in banking and public accounting. He is a member of the Illinois CPA Society, the Institute of Internal Auditors, the American Institute of CPAs, the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners, and the American Accounting Association. He has held several leadership positions with the Illinois CPA Society and the Central Illinois Chapter of the Institute of Internal Auditors. Currently, he serves as a member of the Illinois Board of Examiners.
Licensures & Certifications
Dr. Petravick is a Certified Public Accountant and a Certified Internal Auditor.