Why Choose Accounting?
There are many reasons to study Accounting at Bradley University.
Career flexibility most majors dream about
- Every organization needs accountants: large, small, public, private. Some of the organizations who employ our students as either interns or full-time employees are:
- Big Four and National Public Accounting Firms such as Deloitte & Touche, PricewaterhouseCoopers, KPMG, McGladrey and Pullen, and CliftonLarsonAllen
- Regional and Local Public Accounting Firms such as Heinold-Banwart, Baker Tilly, and Porte Brown
- Fortune Corporations such as Caterpillar Inc., Archer Daniels Midland, State Farm, and John Deere
- Since accounting is the language of business, it provides valuable skills for any career path, from attorney to banker to FBI agent. You can even open your own business!
Only 182 institutions in the world have Bradley's combination of accounting and business accreditations
- AACSB accreditation ensures you access to the highest quality classes, teachers, and students in the world.
Outstanding job placement rates
Last year, 100% of our 3:2 accounting option graduates and 100% of our undergraduates were placed within six months of graduation. Many had jobs before graduation due to internships.
Historically, the demand for quality accounting majors remains strong during both good and bad economies.
Earn two degrees in 5 years
- Our integrated 3:2 accounting program is designed for students who want to earn both undergraduate and graduate degrees in accounting in order to have the 150 credit hours needed for the CPA exam.
- The student’s financial aid remains in effect for the duration of the 3:2 program. Students do not have to decide whether to enter the 3:2 program until their junior year.
- Our accounting faculty can help determine if the 3:2 option or another academic path is best suited for the student’s career goals.
Our accounting faculty are specialists
- Bradley accounting faculty focus their teaching and research on one or two specific areas. This permits each professor to remain current and bring up-to-date knowledge to the classroom.
- All faculty have at least one accounting certification (CPA, CMA, CIA, CA, or CFE); several have two.
- Class sizes are small--15 to 35 students. This gives you the opportunity to know your teachers and classmates.
A history of CPA exam success
Bradley's students are very successful on the CPA exam. Our average CPA exam pass rate far exceeds national averages. Special programs are regularly offered for accounting majors to provide information on CPA exam content and best practices for CPA exam preparation.
- Bradley's 3 Year Average CPA Exam Pass Rate: 61.4%
- National 3 Year Average CPA Exam Pass Rate: 49.4%
Our student organizations provide connections to accounting professionals
The Department of Accounting sponsors two student organizations: the Bradley Accounting Club (BAC) and Beta Alpha Psi (BAP). Both organizations are student-run, providing excellent opportunities for developing and enhancing leadership skills. In a typical year, these organizations sponsored over 20 on-campus meetings with accounting professionals as well as several community service projects.
- BAC is an organization for students interested in accounting. Its purpose is to help members gain knowledge of specific accounting careers, obtain onsite experience through job shadowing and group visits to companies and foster good relations through social events and networking.
- BAP is an honorary organization open to juniors, seniors, and graduate students. The primary objective of Beta Alpha Psi is to encourage and give recognition to scholastic and professional excellence in accounting. Our BAP chapter has earned a Gold Chapter Award six times in the past seven years. Gold Chapter is the highest honor any BAP chapter can receive.
You can declare an accounting major at any time
- Students can declare an accounting major as incoming freshmen. Many other universities require their students to wait until their sophomore or junior year to declare a major.
- Students take several business and accounting classes during their freshmen and sophomore years. If you decide to change majors, the process is very simple and quick.
Accounting faculty advise accounting majors
- Upon entrance to Bradley University, each accounting major is assigned a full-time member of the accounting faculty as an advisor.
- Each semester, professors meet with students to provide help and advice. Professors are also available throughout the semester for additional meetings.
We are members of the Internal Audit Education Partnership Program
Students with an interest in helping businesses identify potential problems and develop solutions for these concerns should consider obtaining an accounting degree with a concentration in internal auditing.
Our Internal Audit Education Partnership (IAEP) program is part of an international network sponsored by the Institute of Internal Auditors, the world’s largest internal auditing professional association.