Executive in Residence
Ed.D., Curriculum and Instruction, Illinois State University
M.S., Computer Science, Bradley University
B.S., Mathematics, Illinois State University
Computer Programming, Old Dominion University
U.S. Navy, Computer and digital display technology, Computer programming
Dr. West had over twenty years experience in business and six years in the U.S. Navy before joining the Bradley faculty in 1997. During his business and military career he taught as adjunct faculty at Illinois State University, Bradley University, Illinois Central College and at the Fleet Anti-aircraft Warfare Training Center at Dam Neck, Virginia. He integrates his formal education with is extensive business background and military experience to give the student a real-world perspective in the courses he teaches. Dr. West’s research interests focus on interface design/human computer interaction, course design and productivity increases through technology.
Dr. West spends his free time practicing his rifle and pistol marksmanship and improving his golf game. He is also an avid car enthusiast, and still and video photographer.
Skype Dr. West at chuck.lowufo
Caterpillar Tractor Inc. 1968 and 1975-1997
Dealer inventory systems, manufacturing, engineering. decision support,systems development, training
and networking systems
SeaJay Soft 1975-1985
Consulting, computer sales and networking in banking, accounting and retail businesses
United States Navy 1968-1974
Design and development of POFA systems and systems alignment
Chuck has designed and taught numerous courses in management information systems (MIS), the business application of computers and information systems. He has taught graduate courses tailored for the Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) degree, Master of Science in Quantitative Finance (M.S.Q.F.) degree and in an executive M.B.A. program. In addition, Chuck teaches undergraduate courses for the M.I.S. degree and core business program. He recognizes the importance of the technology side, interpersonal side, and business value of information systems. He won the 2008 FCBA Teaching Innovation award for his creative approach to instruction design.
Courses Currently Teaching
- BMA 173 - Information Systems and Business Applications
- BMA 175 - Introduction to Developing Business Applications
- BMA 272 - Management Applications of Personal Computers
- BMA 275 - Business Applications Using Visual Basic
- BMA 276 - Developing Information Systems for E-Commerce
- BMA 378 - Human-Computer Interaction and Usability Testing
- BMA 478 - Implementing Business Computer Systems
- BMA 498 – Independent Study
- BMA 613 – Advanced Algorithms
- BMA 614 – Topics in MIS
- BMA 658 – Independent Study
- BMA 660 - Analysis and Development of Mobile Apps
- BMA 672 - Information Systems Management
- BMA 676 - Electronic Commerce
- FIN 659 - Mathematical Programming
Courses Periodically Taught
- BMA 172 - Business Computer Skills and Applications
- BMA 372 - Management Information Systems
- BMA 373 - Business Data Communications
- BMA 673 - Data Communications for Managers
- BMA 675 - Managing Systems Development
Dr. West’s research interests include investigating how technology can improve productivity in business. He has conducted several studies in the impact of dual-monitor computer systems on productivity. He received the Best Paper award for his pedagogical paper Hands on Exercises in the Business Data Communications Course. He is currently working on a pedagogical paper about continuity in teaching a series of programming courses.
- McGowan, M. K., Stephens, P. R., West, C. J. (2009). Student Perceptions of Electronic Textbooks. Issues in Information Systems.
- West, C.J., (2005). Enhancement of the Classroom Performance System, Issues in Information Systems.
- West, C. J., (2002). The Interactive Case Study, Issues in Information Systems.
College & University
- Senate General Education Subcommittee
- FCBA Graduate Curriculum Committee
- BMA Strategic Planning Committee
- BMA Strategy Committee
- Directors for Methodist College Facilities Subcommittee
- Directors for Methodist College Finance Subcommittee
Dr. West has served on the Washington Economic Development Commission and the board of directors for Junior Achievement. Dr. West also serves as a member of the board of directors for Methodist College. During the summer he teaches classes at Art and Science in the Woods, a Sun Foundation event. He teaches Electricity and Magnetism, Bridge Building 101 and Digital Photography. He also develops web sites for local organizations. His recent sites include Heart of Illinois Celiac Kids and the Washington Illinois Lacrosse team. He offers his technical expertise as a consultant to various businesses, providing assistance in web development, database design and networking (LAN).