Baker Hall 302
Ph. D., Strategic Management, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
M.B.A., Bradley University
B.A., Management, Bradley University
Larry has been a member of the Management faculty at Bradley University since 1993. He teaches the capstone strategic management course to undergraduates, MBA students, EMBA students, and in executive development programs. He regularly addresses audiences across the nation and abroad. Additionally, he works with numerous Fortune 500 companies, including General Motors Corp., Goodyear Tire and Rubber Co., 3M, Caterpillar Inc., Pennzoil Co., Ashland Chemical, Timken Steel, Coors Brewing Co. and many medium-sized companies on issues relating to strategy, culture and growth. Weinzimmer has also served as the coach for the MBA case competition team that has won the National Championship for the last three years. Larry was recently awarded a Caterpillar Professorship, and his title is now Caterpillar Inc. Professor of Strategic Management.
Dr. Weinzimmer’s classroom environment is based on three principles: (1) learn by doing; (2) be challenging but highly supportive; and (3) professors should be facilitators of learning rather than lecturers. Therefore, his classes are highly interactive and the focus is on effective use of tools rather than learning from textbooks. Dr. Weinzimmer has received numerous teaching awards, including the University’s First-Year Teaching Award, the Midwest Grain Products, Inc. Outstanding Teaching Award, the University’s Junior Faculty Teaching Award, and the University’s most prestigious teaching recognition, the Putnam Award. He has also received numerous teaching and advising awards from the College and from student organizations.
In addition to teaching the capstone strategic management course, Weinzimmer teaches Leadership, International Management, Creating an Effective Organizational Culture, Fostering Creativity, and Negotiations.
Dr. Weinzimmer’s research is focused in the areas of Strategic Management and Corporate culture. Dr. Weinzimmer has published over 60 articles on business growth, has recently served as a member of the editorial board for the Journal of Management. He has won numerous regional and national research awards. Weinzimmer has also written three books. His book, “Fast Growth: How to Attain It, How to Sustain It,” has received international acclaim, appearing on both the Amazon.com “New and Notable List” and “Business Best Seller’s List.” Weinzimmer has been featured in several leading business magazines (including Fortune Magazine, Executive Excellence, Entrepreneur Magazine and cover story in Investor’s Business Daily,). Weinzimmer has been featured on numerous business talk shows including FNN, CNN, and the Business Morning Show. He was also interviewed by Alan Rothman on ABC, and in 2009 appeared on the NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams. Fast Growth has been translated into three languages.
Published Research in 2009-2010:
- Weinzimmer, L., Michel, E., & Franczac, J. (2010). Creativity and Financial Performance: The mediating effect of action orientation. Journal of Managerial Issues, forthcoming.
- Weinzimmer, L., Fink, R., Shanine, K., & Schuenemann, B. (2010). An Antecedent-Behavior-Consequence Model of Process-Based Strategies: An Exploratory Investigation. Review of Business Research, forthcoming.
- Weinzimmer, L., & Manmadan, Abishek. (2009). Small business success metrics: The gap between theory and practice.” International Journal of Business Research, forthcoming.
- Weinzimmer, L., Michel, E., & Franczac, J.. (2009). Acceptance of mistakes as antecedent of organizational creativity Southwest Academy of Management Proceedings, Dallas, TX March, 2010.
- Weinzimmer, L., Michel, E., & Franczac, J. (2009). Action Orientation as a Mediator in the Creativity-Performance Relationship. Southern Management Association Proceedings, Asheville, NC, November, 2009.
- Weinzimmer, L., Michel, E., & Franczac, J. (2009). Strategic orientation versus market orientation: Conceptual and operational differences. Proceedings, Southwest Academy of Management, Oklahoma City, OK, March, 2009.
- Weinzimmer, L., Michel, E., & Franczac, J. (2009). An empirical examination of strategic orientation and SME performance. Small Business Institute Annual Proceeding, St. Petersburg, FL, February, 2009.
- Editorial Review Board, Journal of Management
- Associate Editor, Journal of Small Business Strategy
- Presidential Appointee, Strategic Planning Committee
- Teaching Excellence Committee