The Bradley University Speech Team continues to receive national media attention for its exceptional season of wins. Read the latest story published in Forbes Magazine, the August edition
The Bradley University Speech Team brought home its 13th consecutive State Championship title at the 2013 State Tournament held March 1-3 at Northern Illinois University. They scored an impressive 312 points besting 2nd place Illinois State University (120 pts) and 3rd place North Central College (77 pts). In addition to the team title, students brought home state championships in 9 of the 11 events.
The State Tournament is also the qualifier for the Interstate Oratorical Contest (IOC), where two students from each state compete at the country’s oldest and most prestigious public speaking contest. This year, Brooke Stevenson (Sr.) and Jacoby Cochran (Sr.) qualified to represent Illinois by winning 1st and 2nd, respectively, in Oratory. Not only does winning Oratory qualify Stevenson for IOC, but the award also holds a special place in the hearts of the Bradley family because it is named after Curt Byars ‘07, Bradley Alum who held a passion for the power of persuasion and was taken at an all too young of age.
Students capturing State Titles include: Sr. Jacoby Cochran (Top Overall Speaker, Impromptu Speaking), Jr. Kaybee Brown (Dramatic Interpretation, Prose Interpretation), Jr. AJ Curry (Informative Speaking), Jr. Gabby Dillon (Poetry Interpretation), Sr. Brooke Stevenson (After Dinner Speaking, Oratory), So. Talan Tyminski (Extemporaneous Speaking), Sr. Justin Restaino and Sr. Ryan Tinlin (Duo Interpretation). Adding to the effort to bring home the State Titles were:
- Kaybee Brown (Jr. Theater Major from Chicago, IL)- 1st Dramatic Interpretation, 1st Prose Interpretation, 5th Poetry Interpretation, 2nd Duo Interpretation
- Jacoby Cochran (Sr. Philosophy Major from Chicago, IL)- 1st Overall Speaker, 1st Impromptu Speaking, 2nd After Dinner Speaking, 2nd Informative Speaking, 2ndOratory, 3rd Extemporaneous Speaking
- AJ Curry (Jr. Communication Major from Palatine, IL)- 1st Informative Speaking, 3rd Oratory
- Gabby Dillon (Jr. Communication Major from Chicago, IL)- 1st Poetry Interpretation, 3rd Program Oral Interpretation, 5th Duo Interpretation
- Aaron Fullman (Sr. Communication Major from Anaheim, CA)- 5th Dramatic Interpretation
- Ben Gaddis (Sr. Communication Major from St. Charles, IL)- 4th After Dinner Speaking, 5th Extemporaneous Speaking
- Lauren Galloway (Fr. English Major from Morris, IL)- 5th After Dinner Speaking
- Junior Ocasio (Sr. Communication Major from Cleveland, OH)- 4th Poetry Interpretation, 4th Prose Interpretation, 2nd and 5th Duo Interpretation
- Justin Restaino (Sr. Communication Major from Fullerton, CA)- 1st Duo Interpretation, 4th Program Oral Interpretation
- Brooke Stevenson (Sr. Psychology Major from Fremont, CA)- 1st Oratory, 1st After Dinner Speaking, 2nd Prose Interpretation, 4th Duo Interpretation
- Ryan Tinlin (Sr. Psychology Major from Dellroy, OH)- 2nd Overall Speaker, 1st and 4th Duo Interpretation, 3rd Informative Speaking, 5th Prose Interpretation, 4thCommunication Analysis
- Talan Tyminski (So. Political Science Major from Ballwin, MO)- 1st Extemporaneous Speaking, 6th Communication Analysis
- Congratulations to the Bradley University Speech Team members and coaches Ken Young, Director of Forensics and Tanya Melendez, Assistant Director of Forensics.
Media coverage of the Speech Team victories.
- 2012 State Champions
- Bradley speech team wins titles Bradley camp lets high school students improve forensic skills
- Speech team dynasty
- Accidental member
- Performing with the Best
- Bradley University Speech Team continues historic record with win at National Forensic Association Tournament
- Anything but speechless
- A tradition of winning
- Speech teams recognized
- Students Speak of Cheese Non-Conformists at Forensics Competition