The Chester Sipple Poetry Award
The award acknowledges student achievement in creating a larger body of poetry. Students submit to this competition portfolios of five original poems. The winning entrants receive monetary awards. In addition, the English Department presents certificates to student poets whose work earns finalist honors.
- Each poet may submit one group of five original poems. No translations.
- A poem in any form or style (fixed, free, or prose) is acceptable.
- The poet's name, address, email address, and phone number(s) should NOT appear on the poems submitted, but must be included on the entry form. Be sure to include the hours at which you can be reached easily by phone.
- Submit the poems and entry form to the Department of English, Bradley Hall 380.
- The DEADLINE for submission of poems is 3 p.m. WEDNESDAY, MARCH 11, 2015. Poems received after the deadline will not be eligible for the competition.
- A winning group of poems will be chosen. The winning poet will receive a prize of $400. Second and third place honorees will earn $200 and $100, respectively. Those granted honorable mention will receive certificates of award.
- Only Bradley undergraduate and graduate students are eligible.
- No poems submitted to the competition may be revised while under consideration.
- No entries will be returned. All entries will be recycled.
- All entrants must verify their authorship of submitted poems and grant the English Department permission to post their winning poems online.
- Submissions that do not follow these guidelines will be disqualified.
The ENTRY FORM can be printed by clicking HERE. You can also pick up an entry form in Bradley Hall 380.