Associate Professor & Associate Chair
Ph.D., English, University of Chicago
M.A., General Studies in the Humanities, University of Chicago
B.A., English; Russian and East European Area Studies, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- ENG 311 Introduction to Language
- ENG 312 English Grammar
- ENG 301 Argumentative Writing
- ENG 368 Science Fiction and Fantasy
- Honors seminars on various topics in linguistics, literature, and Hebrew bible
The Graduate School:
- ENG 508 Composing Hypertext
- ENG 550 Language Theory
Supervision of undergraduate and graduate independent projects on various topics in linguistics and computer applications in the study of literature and language.
Dr. Katz's recent research has focused on critical discourse analysis, linguistic politeness, and conceptual blending theory. He is also the author of an as-yet unpublished textbook in English grammar.
- “Our Love/Hate Relationship with ‘Proper’ English.” Barbarians at the Gates: Language Attitudes and Popular Linguistics, ed. by Dr. Patricia Donaher, Dept. of English, Missouri Western State University. Cambridge Scholars Press, 2010. 263-287.
- Review of Artful Sentences: Syntax as Style by Virginia Tufte. ATEG Journal (Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar). 22:1 (Fall 2006): 13-14.
- "Innovative Hypermedia ETDs and Employment in the Humanities." Electronic Theses and Dissertations: A Sourcebook for Educators, Students, and Librarians. Edward Fox, Shahrooz Feizabaldi, Joseph Moxley, and Christian Weisser, eds. New York: Marcel Dekker, 2004. 9-18.
- Peoria Journal Star, “Faith and Values: Guest Reflections” columns:
- “Preparing for the Jewish New Year.” September 1, 2007. D7.
- “Measuring the value of a person.” May 12, 2007. D7.
- “G-d created the evil inclination for us to master.” January 27, 2007. D7.
- “A Time to Return to God and Ourselves.” September 30, 2006. D7.
- “We Are All Vessels for God’s Blessing.” June 10, 2006. D7.
- “Daily Prayer Thanks God for the Blessings of Community.” December 25, 2004. E5. Reprinted in The Wisconsin Jewish Chronicle, January, 2005.
- “True Justice Combines God’s Commandments with Compassion.” August 29, 2004. E5
- “Children Should Be Jewels in the Crown of a Good Name.” May 8, 2004. E5.
- “Bitterness Makes Us Aware of God’s Goodness, Grace.” March 13, 2004. E5.
- “Start of New Year Is Reminder of Life-Long Spiritual Growth.” January 17, 2004. E5.
- "The roles of first mention definite reference in discourse processing." National Popular Culture Association/American Culture Association (PCA/ACA) Conference, San Antonio, TX, April, 2011.
- "The roles of first mention definite reference in discourse processing." College English Association (CEA) Conference, St. Petersburg, FL, March, 2011.
- “Literary ain’t: a survey.” National Popular Culture Association/American Culture Association (PCA/ACA) Conference, St. Louis, March 2010.
- “The Reader’s Role in Designing the Text.” College English Association (CEA) Conference, Pittsburgh, March, 2009.
- “‘I paid for this class, so I deserve a better grade’: The Development of a Conceptual Blend.” Poster presentation. Critical Approaches to Discourse Analysis Across Disciplines (CADAAD). University of Hertfordshire, Hatfield, Hertfordshire, UK, July 2008.
- “Correctness versus Correction: Proper English, Politeness, and Social Position.” College English Association (CEA) Conference, St. Louis, March, 2008.
- “Our Love/Hate Relationship with ‘Proper’ English.” National Popular Culture Association/American Culture Association (PCA/ACA) Conference, San Francisco, March 2008.
- “Our Love/Hate Relationship with ‘Proper’ English.” Illinois Philological Association (IPA), University of Illinois-Springfield, April, 2007.
- Bradley University President’s Task Force to Develop a Comprehensive Alcohol Action Plan, 2008-present
- Bradley University Hillel, Faculty Advisor, 1998-present
- Bradley Fencing Club, Faculty Advisor, 1993-present
Lectures and Discussions:
- “Threads of Faith: Judaism.” Panel discussion with representatives of Islam, Catholicism, and Protestantism, sponsored by Student Senate. December, 2010.
- “What Summa Students Mean to Me; or, Summa Wrestling.” Faculty speech at Mid-year Summa Dinner, December, 2009.
- “Ernest Bloch, Sacred Service (Avodath Hakodesh), Reform Jewish Liturgy, and Some Problems.” Introduction to a performance of Bloch’s Sacred Service by the Bradley Community Chorus and the Bradley Symphony, Bradley University, November, 2008.
- “The Influence of Emily Dickinson on American Poetry.” Introduction to “Dwell in Possibility: Emily Dickinson in Song,” a performance of musical settings of those poems by Virginia Dupuy, mezzosoprano, and Dale Dietert, piano. Bradley University Dingeldine Recital Hall, October, 2008.
- "Why We Love--and Hate--'Proper' English." Bradley University Cullom-Davis Library's Speak-up Series, September, 2008.
- “Why You Should Get to Know Your Professors.” Kappa Delta Sorority, April, 2008.
- “’I paid for this class, so I deserve a better grade’: The Development of a Conceptual Blend.” Bradley University Cullom-Davis Library's Speak-up Series, March, 2008.
Academic Service to the Department:
- Acting Department Chair, May, 2007
- English Education Committee, 2007-present
- Uplands Residential Association
- Secretary, 2008-2010.
- Chair, 100th Picnic Committee, 2009
- Jewish Federation of Peoria
- Board Member, 1997-present
- Congregation Anshai Emeth
- Sunday School: Teacher, grades 7-8, 2004-present