CW Directory of Undergraduate Journals
Directory of National Undergraduate Creative Writing Journals
These journals publish undergraduate students enrolled at US institutions. However, check each journal’s guidelines to be certain it accepts work from any US undergrad and not just the work of students enrolled at the host school.
- Adroit Journal
For writers under 21 years of age.
- Albion Review / Albion College
- Allegheny Review / Allegheny College
Meadville, PA 16335
- Bird’s Thumb
Bird’s Thumb is dedicated to discovering and publishing the emerging writer. As an evolving journal, we’re open to many styles and we’re interested in diverse voices.
- The Blue Route / Widener University
- Catfish Creek / Loras College
- Cadaverine Magazine (UK)
- Collision Literary Magazine / University of Pittsburgh
Publishes poetry, creative non-fiction prose, literary criticism, art and photography by undergraduate students from all over the world not just from the University of Pittsburgh.
- Criterion / Brigham Young University
Criterion is a Journal of Literary Criticism published by the Department of English at Brigham Young University in collaboration with the Future Scholars Program. It is an annual journal dedicated to publishing excellent literary analysis and criticism produced by undergraduate and master's students.
- Diverse Voices Quarterly
Since creating this online literary journal in 2009, we’ve been providing an outlet for AND by everyone: every age, race, gender, sexual orientation, and religious background. This journal, in essence, celebrates and unifies diversity.
- Ellipsis: Literature and Art
1840 South 1300 East
Salt Lake City, UT 84105
- Glass Mountain / University of Houston
- The Green Blotter / Lebanon Valley College
Open for submissions of poetry, fiction, photos and other artwork from October 1 through February 1
- Literary Laundry
An online publication of poetry, prose, and drama. Each issue the editors select works written by undergraduates for outstanding award as well as cash prizes.
- Mangrove / University of Miami
Mangrove is the undergraduate literary journal at the University of Miami, publishing the best undergraduate fiction, poetry, nonfiction, art & design in the country.
An annual undergraduate art & lit publication from UC Riverside. Although Mosaic is a UCR undergrad-run publication, submissions are not limited to students. All types of artistic endeavors are welcomed. Submission deadline January 31.
- Native Youth Magazine
Native Youth between the ages of 12 and 25 are encouraged to submit articles, poetry, profiles, photos and illustrations. Submissions from adults are also welcome.
- North Central Review /North Central College
The North Central Review is one of only a handful of literary journals publishing exclusively the writings and works of undergraduate students. The North Central Review considers all genres, including short fiction, poetry, drama, creative nonfiction, and mixed genre pieces. Submission deadlines Oct 15 and Feb 15.
- Outrageous Fortune / Mary Baldwin College
- Plain China / Bennington College
- Prairie Margins / Bowling Green St University
Prairie Margins is an undergraduate publication at Bowling Green State University. Our reading dates are between September and December. Accepts submissions of unpublished poetry, fiction, and creative nonfiction.
- Polaris / Ohio Northern University
The undergraduate journal of arts and literature of Ohio Northern University is now accepts submissions for poetry, fiction, visual art, and nonfiction only from undergraduate students worldwide.
- Red Cedar Review / Michigan St University
- Reed Magazine / San Jose State University
Published annually, San José State University's Reed Magazine features fiction, non-fiction, poetry, and art, as well as interviews and profiles on notable Silicon Valley authors. Reed is a student-run literary journal, and proud sponsor of the Steinbeck Award for fiction, the Markham Poetry Prize, and the Gabriele Rico Creative Nonfiction Challenge.
- Roger / Roger Williams University
Roger is supported by the Feinstein College of Arts and Sciences at Roger Williams University in Bristol, Rhode Island. The magazine maintains a faculty-based editorial board that works with undergraduate students who participate in an academic program in literary publishing.
- Sigma Tau Delta Rectangle
The Sigma Tau Delta Rectangle is an annual English Honors Society journal that publishes literary non-fiction, fiction, and poetry containing the works of Sigma Tau Delta members. The best piece of writing in each category will be awarded five scholarships totaling more than $1,000.
- Sphere Literary Magazine/Fairleigh Dickinson University
- Susquehanna Review / Susquehanna University
Susquehanna University's nationally distributed student-run annual literary magazine contains original fiction, creative nonfiction, and poetry by undergraduate writers currently attending an accredited US university.
- The Oval
The Oval is an undergraduate-run, non-profit annual literary journal at the University of Montana. They accept previously unpublished poetry, prose, and visual art by currently enrolled undergraduates nationwide.
- The Quaker
- Thoreau’s Rooster / Assumption College
Submission Deadline:November 1; Call for Papers: Thoreau's Rooster welcomes all papers written by undergraduate writers as long as they are works of creative non-fiction. All papers must be submitted on the Rooster's website by November 1, 2013.
Submission Guidelines:All submissions must be written by an undergraduate writer and be in the genre of creative non-fiction; For More Information:Email Daniel Murphy, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tusculum Review / Tusculum College
- Wire Tap
Publishes news reports, features, investigative stories, personal voices, op-eds, reviews and interviews by all ages with priority given to 16- to 28-year-old youth and young adult writers.
A literary and art magazine providing college students a venue for publishing their poetry, prose, fiction and visual artwork. The magazine is distributed and produced by students at Sonoma State University in California.
Selected Literary Contests
- The Younkin-Rivera Prizes for Young Writers
- Ages 15 - 18
- Deadline: Postmark February 18, 2013
- State University of New York
- Short Fiction Prize
- Only undergraduates enrolled full-time in American and Canadian universities and colleges for the academic year 2012-2013 are eligible for the prize.
- Deadline: Postmark March 1, 2013
- Writers research a new culture, write a poem or short story in the voice of a character from that culture, and reflect upon the lessons learned in the form of a short essay.
- Ages 13-19
- Deadline: March 1, 2013
- Annual Poetry and Fiction Contests
- Ages 13-19
- Deadline: Postmark March 15, 2013
- *They charge for submissions, but the fee pays for a one-year subscription to the magazine.
- Haiku Contest
- All Ages/No Fee (except for Adult Contemporary Haiku)
- Deadline: Postmark March 24, 2012
- The website includes helpful guidelines for writing haiku.
- Student Writing Contest
- Currently enrolled undergrad and grad students & recent grads.
- Deadline: April 15, 2013
- 2013 International Essay Contest for Young People
- Ages: Up to 25 years old
- Deadline: June 30, 2013
- Platt Family Scholarship Prize Essay Contest
- "Lincoln and Gettysburg: Expectations, Reactions, Consecrations"
- For full-time college/university students.
- Deadline: Postmark July 31 (annual)
- The Lincoln Forum Platt Family Scholarship Prize Essay Contest "Lincoln and Gettysburg: Expectations, Reactions, Consecrations" For full-time college/university students. Deadline: Postmark July 31 (annual)
- Yale Series of Younger Poets (VERY Competitive)
- For writers under 40 who have not published a book of poetry.
- Deadline: Postmark October 1 - November 15, 2013
- Poetry Contest
- Undergraduate Students – USA and Canada
- Deadline: Postmark December 1
- The Sigma Tau Delta Rectangle is an annual English Honors Society journal that publishes literary non-fiction, fiction, and poetry containing the works of Sigma Tau Delta members. The best piece of writing in each category will be awarded five scholarships totaling more than $1,000.
- Plains Song Review is an interdisciplinary literary journal that explores a sense of place in the Great Plains through fiction, poetry, nonfiction essays and photographs and graphic literature of emerging and established writers and artists. Submissions are encouraged from, but not limited to, undergraduate college students. Plains Song Review is published each Spring. Undergraduate submissions are eligible for the Christine Pappas Award for Best Work, which includes a $200 prize and is presented at a special reading in April.
Sources of Further Publishing Opportunity Information
List of undergraduate journals:
- http://www.newpages.com/literary-magazines-student/#IL-Need to go through each to see if they accept work from students of their own school or are open to writing from undergrads from across the nation.
- http://www.newpages.com/npguides/young_authors_guide.htm- Link to list of young adult/undergrad journals
- http://unl.libguides.com/content.php?pid=207791&sid=1732413-List of Journals for undergrads and links to sites Composed by the University of Nebraska-Lincoln
The items below are useful to identify top literary and commercial journals. For the most part, you will be competing for space in these journals with more advanced and often professional writers: