About our Department
Career opportunities continue to expand in this field, and Bradley’s FCS department has a high job-placement rate. You’ll choose from careers in teaching, businesses related to family and consumer sciences, social services, nutrition and dietetics, retail (fashion) merchandising, and others.
Mission & Vision
The Department of Family and Consumer Sciences offers both a local and global focus, empowering graduates to respond to diverse and complex family and consumer issues. It is the department of choice for those studying the interaction of family systems, the relationship between individuals and their environment, and the global influence on well-being and the community.
Strategic Planning Initiatives
- Strengthen the family core within Family and Consumer Sciences
- Explore Dietetic Internship with graduate courses/program
- Explore and revise Retail Merchandising curriculum to add more depth; possibly re-tool faculty load
- Encourage FCS faculty and student research initiatives including collaborative research with students and/or colleagues
- Maintain approval/certification with American Dietetics Association, Illinois State Board of Education and National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education
- Update facilities to complement and support quality education in FCS
- Explore participative educational opportunities with appropriate international communities to increase global appreciation
- Promote outreach in community agencies that serve families and consumers
- Provide personal and professional enrichment in FCS to the campus community