Baker Hall 229
Ph.D., Finance and Applied Econometrics, University of Iowa
M.B.A, Financial Management, Miami of Ohio
M.S., Statistics, Rajasthan University, Jaipur, India
B.S., Mathematics and Chemistry, Jaswant College, Jodhpur, India
Dr. Shyam B. Bhandari joined Bradley University in 1976. He has taught a variety of courses in finance, quantitative methods and international business. He has been the recipient of numerous awards and grants. He is a past president and Program Chair of the Academy of Finance. He has regularly presented research papers at national and regional professional meetings and published articles in scholarly journals. Shyam was involved in curriculum development in business at Samara State Aerospace University, Samara, Russia. He is listed in Who’s Who in American Education (Third edition) and Who’s Who in The Midwest (22nd edition). His hobbies and interests include gardening, music, contract bridge, cricket, and current issues.
Shyam has taught a variety of courses at both the graduate and undergraduate levels and in the Honors program. He emphasizes problem solving and decision-making. His classroom activity is a blend of lectures, projects, and cases.
Courses currently teaching:
- FIN 322 Business Finance
- FIN 424 Capital Budgeting
Shyam’s research interests are in agency theory, capital budgeting techniques, bond rating, multivariate financial and temporal valuation models. His research has appeared in American Business Review, American Journal of Small Business, Financial Management, Financial Practice and education, Journal of the Academy of Finance, Journal of Business Research, Journal of Business Ethics, Journal of Business and Behavioral Sciences, Journal of Contemporary Business, Journal of Cost Analysis, Journal of Financial Education, Journal of Small Business Management. A few noteworthy publications are:
(Cabell's) Bhandari, S. B. (2014). Two Discriminant Analysis Models of Predicting Business Failure: A Contrast of the Most Recent with the First Model. American Journal of Management, 14(3), 2014(3), 11-19. [Accepted: July 2014, Published: September 2014, Submitted: April 2014]
(Cabell's) Bhandari, S. B., Iyer, R. (2013). Predicting Business Failure Using Cash Flow Statement Based Measures. Managerial Finance, 2013(39/7), 667-676. [Accepted: March 2013, Published: June 2013, Submitted: July 2012]
(Cabell's) Bhandari, S. B. (2011). Ethical Dilemma of Nonprofits in the Agency Theory Framework. Journal of Leadership, Accountability and Ethics, 8(2), 33-40. [Accepted: September 2010, Published: March 2011, Submitted: July 2010]
Academic/Professional Meeting Proceedings
Bhandari, S. B. (2015). In Thomas M. Krueger (Ed.), Operating Cash Flows versus Free Cash Flows: An Assessment of Their Usefulness in Financial Analysis (12th ed., vol. 2015, pp. 117-119). Kingville, Texas: 2015 Academy of Finance Meeting Proceedings. [Published: March 2015]
Bhandari, S. B. (2014). In Tom Krueger (Ed.), A Critique of Two Models of Predicting Business Failure: The Oldest versus the Newest (vol. 2014, pp. 102-104). Proceedings of the Academy of Finance. [Published: March 2014]
Bhandari, S. B. (2013). In Thomas M. Krueger (Ed.), Logistic Regression, Cash Flow Measures and Predicting Business Failure (2013th ed., pp. 119-121). Chicago, IL: 2013 Proceedings of Academy of Finance. [Published: February 2013]
Bhandari, S. B. (2012). In Thomas Krueger (Ed.), A Discriminant Analysis Model for Predicting Business Failure Using Cash Flow Statement based Measures (2012th ed., pp. 1-3). Academy of Finance 2012 Proceedings. [Published: March 2012]
Bhandari, S. B., MBAA International / Academy of Finance, "Operating cash Flow Versus Free Cash Flow: An Assessment of Their Usefulness in Financial Analysis", Chicago. (March, 2015).
Bhandari, S. B., MBAA International, "A Critique of Two Models of Predicting Business Failure: The Oldest and the Newest", Chicago. (March, 2014).
Bhandari, S. B. (Presenter & Author), MBAA International, "Logistic Regression, Cash Flow Measures and Prediction of Business Failure", MBAA International, Chicago. (March, 2013).
Bhandari, S. B. (Presenter & Author), Academy of Finance, "A Discriminant Analysis Model for Predicting Business Failures Using Cash Flow Statement Based Measures", MBAA International, Chicago. (March, 2012).
Bhandari, S. B., MBAA International, "Comments on Expected Future Interest Rates and the Timing of Private Placements", Chicago. (March, 2012).
Leadership in Academic Societies
Board Member, Academy of Finance, 2012 - 2015
Practice in Field
Corporate and Organizational Board Memberships
- President (1996-97), Program Chair(1995-96), Midwest Academy of Finance and Insurance. (March 1992 - Present).
- Advisory Council (1995-2001), MBAA International. (March 1986 - Present).
- Past President, Past Program Chair, Currently Director, Academy of Finance. (March 1992 - March 2014).
- Board of Directors of a Company, Peoria Area Friends of International Students, 1992 - 2016
- Board Member, Spartan Health Sciences University, St Lucia, 2009 - 2015
College & University
- General Education Subcommittee on Implementation (2012-2014)
- Member Foster College of Business's Dean Search Committee (2011)
- Chairperson, Renewal, Promotion and Tenure Committee of the Department (1990 - 2010)
- Member of: Contractual Arrangement Committee. (2007 - 2010), Retirement Advisory Committee, (2008-2011), University Senate (2007 - 2011), University Resource Committee (1995-2004)
- Faculty Advisor of Bradley Vegetarian Club (since 1996), Hindu Youth Society (since 1997), India Student Association (since 1980), Financial Management Association Student Chapter (1992-94)
- Member, Board of Directors, Academy of Finance (2012-2015)
- Faculty Advisor: Vegetarian Society, India Student Association, Hindu Youth Society
- Board Member, Spartan Health Sciences University, St Lucia. (July 2009 - Present)
- Board of Directors of Peoria Area Friends of International Students (PAFIS). (1992 - July 2011)
- Chairperson, Scholarship Committee of PAFIS. (1993 -2011). Founding member of Hindu Heritage Center (HHC); Past President of India Association of Peoria (IAP)