Bradley Hall 351
Ph.D., French History, University of California, Santa Barbara
M.A., European History, University of California, Santa Barbara
B.A., Social and Political Theory, Whittier College
- HIS 321 The Enlightenment
- HIS 341 The French Revolution
- HIS 342 Europe, 1789-1914
- HIS 337 Modern Non-Western World History
- HIS 350 Junior Seminar in Historical Methods
- HIS 375 The Holocaust
- HIS 451 Senior Research Seminar in European History
- HON 100 The Utopian Imagination
- SOC 390 Sociology of Globalization
- SOC 420 Critical Theory
- CIV 100 Western Civilization
- CIV 101 Western Civilization to 1600
- CIV 102 Western Civilization 1600 to the Present
- CIV 111/112 Honors Unified Western Civilization/English Composition
- Creating History Papers. American Historical Association, 2013
- “Louis-Philippe Before the Throne: Masculine Virtue and the Métier of an Enlightened Prince.” Journal of Historical Biography 12 (Autumn 2012): 1-59, www.ufv.ca/jhb/Volume_12/Volume_12_TOC.pdf
- “France, 1830 Revolution” in The International Encyclopedia of Revolution and Protest, ed. I. Ness (Wiley-Blackwell, 2009), 1227-33, www.revolutionprotestencyclopedia.com/public
- “The Rhetoric of Premature Mourning: Assassination Attempts and the Civil Religion of the July Monarchy” in Proceedings of the Western Society for French History: Selected Papers of the Annual Meeting 29 (2003): 80-88.
- “Symbols of Royalty and the Revolutionary Crowds of 1830” in Proceedings of the Western Society for French History: Selected Papers of the Annual Meeting 23 (1996): 374-83.
- Review of Mike Rapport, 1848: Year of Revolution in History: Reviews of New Books, forthcoming 2011.
- Review of Corry Cropper, Playing at Monarchy: Sport as Metaphor in Nineteenth-Century France, for H-France Review 10, no. 105 (August 2010),) www.h-france.net/vol10reviews/vol10no105brown.pdf.
- Review of William Fortescue, France and 1848: The End of Monarchy for H-France Review 7, no. 4 (January 2007), www.h-france.net/vol7reviews/brown12.html.
- Review of Jill Harsin, Barricades: The War of the Streets in Revolutionary Paris, 1830-1848 for H-W-Civ, H-Net Reviews, December 2003, www.h-net.org/reviews/showrev.php?id=8612.
- Review of John M. Knapp, Behind the Diplomatic Curtain: Adolphe de Bourqueney and French Foreign Policy, 1816-1869 for H-France Review, 2 (December 2002), no. 131, www.h-france.net/vol2reviews/brown3.html
- Faculty Advisor, Phi Alpha Theta
- Faculty Advisor, History Club
- Coordinator, Yates Scholarship