Associate Professor (sabbatical Spring 2015)
Bradley Hall 351
Ph.D., French History, University of California, Santa Barbara
M.A., European History, University of California, Santa Barbara
B.A., Social and Political Theory, Whittier College
- HIS 321 The Enlightenment
- HIS 341 The French Revolution
- HIS 342 Europe, 1789-1914
- HIS 337 Modern Non-Western World History
- HIS 350 Junior Seminar in Historical Methods
- HIS 375 The Holocaust
- HIS 451 Senior Research Seminar in European History
- HON 100 The Utopian Imagination
- SOC 390 Sociology of Globalization
- SOC 420 Critical Theory
- CIV 100 Western Civilization
- CIV 101 Western Civilization to 1600
- CIV 102 Western Civilization 1600 to the Present
- CIV 111/112 Honors Unified Western Civilization/English Composition
- Creating History Papers. American Historical Association, 2013
- “Louis-Philippe Before the Throne: Masculine Virtue and the Métier of an Enlightened Prince.” Journal of Historical Biography 12 (Autumn 2012): 1-59, www.ufv.ca/jhb/Volume_12/Volume_12_TOC.pdf
- “France, 1830 Revolution” in The International Encyclopedia of Revolution and Protest, ed. I. Ness (Wiley-Blackwell, 2009), 1227-33, www.revolutionprotestencyclopedia.com/public
- “The Rhetoric of Premature Mourning: Assassination Attempts and the Civil Religion of the July Monarchy” in Proceedings of the Western Society for French History: Selected Papers of the Annual Meeting 29 (2003): 80-88.
- “Symbols of Royalty and the Revolutionary Crowds of 1830” in Proceedings of the Western Society for French History: Selected Papers of the Annual Meeting 23 (1996): 374-83.
- Review of Mike Rapport, 1848: Year of Revolution in History: Reviews of New Books, forthcoming 2011.
- Review of Corry Cropper, Playing at Monarchy: Sport as Metaphor in Nineteenth-Century France, for H-France Review 10, no. 105 (August 2010),) www.h-france.net/vol10reviews/vol10no105brown.pdf.
- Review of William Fortescue, France and 1848: The End of Monarchy for H-France Review 7, no. 4 (January 2007), www.h-france.net/vol7reviews/brown12.html.
- Review of Jill Harsin, Barricades: The War of the Streets in Revolutionary Paris, 1830-1848 for H-W-Civ, H-Net Reviews, December 2003, www.h-net.org/reviews/showrev.php?id=8612.
- Review of John M. Knapp, Behind the Diplomatic Curtain: Adolphe de Bourqueney and French Foreign Policy, 1816-1869 for H-France Review, 2 (December 2002), no. 131, www.h-france.net/vol2reviews/brown3.html
- Faculty Advisor, Phi Alpha Theta
- Faculty Advisor, History Club
- Coordinator, Yates Scholarship