Note: The requirements for a history major are officially spelled out in the Undergraduate Catalog. The following tables only present notes taken from that more precise document.
Students desiring to earn a history degree must complete a minimum of 30 hours of history credit, 24 of which must be above the 100 level and 15 of which must be above the 200 level. Students must achieve a minimum grade point average in courses in the major of no less than 2.0 in order to graduate. Specific requirements for the history degree are as follows:
- Successful completion of Western Civilization, a core course required of all Bradley students (not counted as part of the 30-hour history minimum)
- Africa, Asia, Latin America, Middle East, or Russia (6 hours, 3 of which must be 300 level or above)
- 6 hours of U.S. history, including either 203 or 204 and 3 hours of 300 level
- 6 hours of European history at the 300 level
- HIS 350 Historical Methods Seminar (Prerequisite: 3 hours of history or consent of instructor.)
- 6 hours of electives from History Department.
- HIS 450, 451, or 452 Research Seminar
- Cross-cultural component. In addition to the 30 hours, all History majors must complete one of the four following options:
- An approved international study experience selected from a variety of Bradley programs including international internships, Bradley Summer Semester abroad, and directed programs at selected international institutions. A minimum of 6 hours must be taken abroad. (If a student studies abroad at one of the Bradley-directed Study Abroad programs other than the Bradley European Summer Semester, the requirement of 24 hours of the last 30 hours on campus is modified to 30 of the last 60 hours. Courses taken in a Bradley-directed program during the senior year will count towards fulfilling the requirements of having 24 of the last 30 semester hours on campus).
- Successful completion of the equivalent of 202 in any foreign language.
- At least 6 hours drawn from the following courses: AAS 200, 211, 300; HIS 304, 305, 316, 339, 375, 382; WMS 200, ENG 129, 190, 329, 330, 331, SOC 313, 314, 315. History courses in this category may also count towards the major. History majors can fulfill the cross-cultural requirement by taking one of the courses listed here plus three hours of Study Abroad credit.
- HSS-T students can fulfill this requirement through ETE 280 and one of the approved courses in category c, or through ETE 280 and three hours of international study credit.
History majors may earn either a B.A. or B.S. degree.
Teaching License for Illinois
To earn a teaching license in Illinois, students must have 36 total hours in History, including 8 hours in U.S. History and 8 hours in European or World History; further requirements for a teaching license are spelled out in the Undergraduate Catalog under the Department of Teacher Education (High School Education).