Department Chair & Professor
Morgan Hall 110B
Ph.D., Major Industrial Engineering/Minor Electrical Engineering, Auburn University
M.S., Industrial Engineering and Manufacturing Engineering, Auburn University
B.S., Industrial Engineering, Tunghai University, Taichung, Taiwan
If you wish please download a copy of my profile.
Honors and Awards:
- Best Paper finalist, Manufacturing Division, American Society of Engineering Education, June 2010.
- Superior Engineering Teaching Award (recipient), College of Engineering, Iowa State University, 2009.
- Outstanding Achievement in Teaching Award (Nominee), College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Iowa State University, nominee, 2009.
- Best Paper award, recipient, Manufacturing Division, American Society of Engineering Education, June 2008.
- Outstanding professor in ABE (recipient), elected by Engineering Student Council, College of Engineering, Iowa State University, recipient, Jan. 2007.
- Year of Merit, recipient, 2007, Society of Manufacturing Engineering (SME)
- Lean Manufacturing
- Six Sigma
- Facility Planning
- Automated Manufacturing Processes
- Quality Function Deployment
- Taguchi Parameter/Tolerance Design
- Metrology and Instrumentation
- Design for Manufacturability
- Process design and planning
- Manufacturing Economics
- Dr. Chen has two major areas of research: (1) adaptive control systems for automated machines; (2) Curriculum development to enhance education of lean manufacturing system design and methodologies at ISU.
- Dr. Chen is developing adaptive control systems for vertical machine centers and turning centers to detect defects (such as tool wear, tool breakage, and poor surface finishing) while the machining process is taking place and provide recommended correction approaches to prevent defects in a real time, on-line fashion.
- The injection molding products market is growing, and Dr. Chen is also developing on-line defect prevention systems for injection molding machines to detect flash that is caused by mixed-materials or mold-closing gap problems in order to meet industry needs. These systems will be enlarged to be able to detect other injection molding quality characteristics, such as weld-line, etc.
- Curriculum development to engage students in reflecting industrial needs in the areas of design for manufacturability, lean manufacturing methodologies, facilities planning, Taguchi parameter design, six sigma are also part of Dr. Chen’s scholarship in teaching activities. Development of a virtual factory to deliver such concepts to students is Dr. Chen’s vision in teaching manufacturing.
- Chen, J.C. and Cox, R. (2012) “Value Stream Management for Lean Office—A Case Study,” American Journal of Industrial and Business Management, Vol. 2, pp 17-29.
- Chen, J.C. and T.J. Collins (2012) “Creation of a RFID Based Real Time Tracking (R-RTT) system for small healthcare clinics,” Journal of Medical Systems, Published on line, DOI 10.1007/s10916-012-9858-7
- Chen, K., Chen, J.C. and Cox, R. (2012) “Real Time Facility Performance Monitoring System Using RFID Technology” Assembly Automation, Vol. 32 No. 2, pp 185-196.
- Chen, J. C. and Thota, C. (2012). Implementing Lean Methodologies in Healthcare Systems - A Case Study. Proceedings of the 2012 international conference on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management (pp. 1046-1054). Istanbul: 978-0-9855497-0-1
- Y. Li, NP Surisetti, J.C. Chen, “Measuring External Profiles of Porous Objects using CMM”, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology (published online Mar 2012) ISSN: 1433-3015
- Chen J.C., Li Y., & Shady B. (2010) From Value Stream Mapping Toward a Lean/Sigma Continuous Improvement Process: an Industrial Case Study. International Journal of Production Research, Vol. 48, issue 4, pp 1069-1086.
- Zhang Z. & Chen, J.C. (2009) Surface Roughness Optimization in a Drilling Operation Using the Taguchi Design Method, Journal of Materials and Manufacturing Process, Vol. 24, issue 4, pp 459-467.
- Chen, J.C., Li, Y., Cox, R. (2009) Taguchi-based Six Sigma Approach to Optimize Plasma Cutting Process: An Industrial Case Study, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol 44, pp 760-769.
- Zhang, Z. & Chen, J. C. (2008) Development of a Low-Cost Microcontroller-Based Data Acquisition System for Machine Condition Monitoring in End Milling Operations, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol 39, No. 1-2, pp 118-128.
- Chen, J.C., Kirby, D., Zellmer, J. (2008) Optimizing performance in fuel nozzle test stands Using Taguchi Parameter Design – An industrial application, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 38, pp 205-217.