Concentration in Social Media Marketing
The Social Media Marketing concentration prepares students to effectively integrate Social Media into the marketing mix of the firms for which they work. This is a critical area of concern to retailers, sports marketers, non-profit marketers, and other entities that wish to create a community around their market offerings.
Commercial organizations, institutions, and government entities are integrating social media into the marketing mix in order to shape market discussion, enhance word-of-mouth, increase brand engagement, support other marketing activities (e.g., sales, product development) and influence purchase behavior. According to Forrester Research, the use of social media marketing is forecasted to grow at a 34% compounded annual growth rate to become a $3.1 billion industry by 2015. This level of spending makes social media the fastest growing of all sectors of marketing communications.
Our social media concentration students are prepared to lead the way as they integrate social media into the marketing mix of their organizations.
Courses in the Social Media Marketing Concentration
The concentration requires 12 hours of specific coursework listed below.
- MTG 350 Consumer Behavior
- MTG 381 Integrated Marketing Communications
- MTG 391 Social Media Marketing
- One 3-hour course from the following list that represents potential domains for the application of social media:
- MTG 355 Sports Marketing
- MTG 304 Professional Selling
- MTG 393 Retailing
- MTG 405 Strategic Advertising Cases
- MTG 410 Services Marketing
- MTG 420 Business Marketing
Careers for Social Media Marketing Students
Jobs for students who complete the coursework in social media continue to increase and include:
- Brand Ambassador
- Client Engagement Manager
- Client Services Coordinator, Online / Social Media
- Community Content Outreach Coordinator
- Community Manager
- Content Manager – Strategic Marketing
- Content Strategist
- Integrated Media Specialist
- Digital Media Strategist
- Marketing Communications Specialist
- New Media Coordinator
- Online Community and Social Media Czar
- Product Evangelist
- Social Media Community Manager
- Social Media Specialist