Political Science & International Studies
Country and International Studies | Dictionaries and Encyclopedias | Handbooks and Guides | Legislation History | Statistics | Voting and Election | Index/Databases
Country and International Studies
- The Europa Year Book. 2004 to the current year. Ref JN 1 .E85 An annual publication, Europa provides statistical and directory information on the countries of the world. The introductory surveys give narrative information on a country's political, cultural, and economic activities.
- Countries of the World at http://www.theodora.com/wfb/. Narrative and statistical information from current and past editions of the CIA's The World Factbook, the Library of Congress Country Studies, and United Nations publications.
- Background Notes at http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/. Published by the US Department of State, this collection includes short, authoritative pamphlets providing information about countries, territories, and international organizations. Each Background Note features information about a country's people, land, history, government, politics, political conditions, economy, and foreign relations. The library has print edition with the call number of Ref G 59 .U512.
- Country Information by IMF at http://www.imf.org/external/country/index.htm.
- Country Profiles by BBC at http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/country_profiles/default.stm.
- Country Studies by the Library of Congress at https://www.loc.gov/collections/country-studies/.
- Demographic Yearbook. Annuaire Demographique. 1948-2006. Reference and General Collection. HA 17 .D45 This U.N. publication provides international statistical data, such as population, vital statistics, infant mortality, and migration. Each edition has a special focus.
- Political Handbook of the World. 1975-2010. Reference and General Collection. JF 37 .P6a Published annually, this book includes detailed political information on every country in the world.
- Statesman's Yearbook. 1899-2010. Reference and General Collection JA 51 .S7 Published biennially, this source describes more than twenty major international organizations in some detail, as well as providing information on the history, area and population, climate, constitution and government, GNP, defense, commerce, communications, foreign relations, social climate, and diplomatic representatives for the countries of the world. Brief bibliographies complete each entry.
- World Factbook by CIA at https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/. Country profiles.
- Yearbook of the United Nations. 1946-2005. Ref JX 1977 A37 Y4 Published annually, the library has volumes from 1946-1997. It describes the functions, responsibilities, and activities of the United Nations in regards to areas such as political and security questions, regional questions, economic and social questions, legal questions, and administrative and budgetary questions. Also provides information on intergovernmental organizations related to the U.N., and provides general information about the history of the United Nations and how it is structured.
Dictionaries and Encyclopedias
- The Encyclopedia of Democracy. Ref JC 423 .E53 1995 Contains 417 articles on "countries, geographical regions, historical eras, important individuals, and philosophical concepts. After each entry, a bibliography is included.
- Real Life Dictionary of American Politics. Ref JK 9 .H55 1994 This book defines the vocabulary used in politics. Important historical documents, biographical information on the presidents, and names and addresses of congress people are included in the appendix.
- Encyclopedia of U.S. Political History.
- Encyclopedia of the Republican Party. Ref JK 2312 .E55 1997, Vol. 1&2 Volume One presents a history of the Republican Party and has articles concerning traditional party ideology and positions on issues, arranged alphabetically. Has biographies of all Republican Presidents, Vice Presidents, Losing Presidential Candidates, Speakers of the House, Other Notable Republicans, Republican Members of Congress, and Republican Governors, all arranged alphabetically rather than chronologically. Volume Two contains sections on Party Conventions from 1856-1992; Platforms, 1856-1992; Elections, 1856-1992, and much other information. Also has an index of minorities and women.
- Encyclopedia of the Democratic Party. Ref JK 2312 .E55 1997, Vol. 3&4 Volumes for the Democratic Party are arranged basically the same as the volumes for the Republican Party.
- Encyclopedia of Third Parties in the United States. Ref JK 2261 .K78 1991 This book provides "descriptions of third' political parties in the United States from the beginning of the nineteenth century to the present." Each entry includes "an account of the party's origin and development, its principal participants, its voting record, and its success and failures."
- Encyclopedia of American Political History. Ref E 183 .E5 Contains ninety essays on major topics in American Political History arranged alphabetically from agricultural policy to women's rights. Essays contain bibliographies and cross-references, and an analytical index is included.
- International Relations Dictionary. Ref JX 1226 .P55 Divided into subject areas, this dictionary includes lengthy definitions for selected international relations terminology.
Handbooks and Guides
- Congressional Directory. Ref JK 1011 Offers a wealth of information about members the United States government and government organizations. Biographical information about members of Congress and listing of all House and Senate committees and their members. Also lists all government departments and their officials and offices. Much more information about the U.S. government. Bradley has directories from 1942 to the present.
- Historic Documents of the Presidency. Ref JK 511 .H57 1989 Contains "80 of the most important documents from the 200-year history of the presidency. The documents trace the development of the presidency as an institution and represent the most memorable and significant activities of individual presidents."
- Illinois Blue Book. Ref JK 5731 A25 A source on Illinois government, this book includes information on the Legislative, Executive, and Judicial branches, and facts about state and local government. The library has 1971 to the current year. The current year version is also available online.
- Book of the States. Ref Jk 2403 .B6 Provides statistics on state activities in such areas as intergovernmental affairs, governors and the executive branch, legislatures, judiciary, legislation, elections and constitutions, administration, finances, and major state services.
- NationMaster. Country statistics.
- ProQuest Statistical Abstract of the United States, HA202.P7, formerly "Statistical Abstract of the United States", 2013---. Most recent edition at the InfoDesk.
- Statistical Abstract of the United States. Ref HA 202 The Statistical Abstract of the United States is the standard compendium of of statistics compiled primarily from government sources. Print-on-paper copies of the Statistical Abstract are also available in the Library, with the latest edition at the Reference Desk and earlier editions in the Reference Stacks and the Government Documents Stacks.
- 1878-2012 Statistical Abstract of the United States.
- Statistical Yearbook (UNESCO) Ref AZ 361 .U45 This annual publication provides international statistics on education, literacy, scientific and technical manpower, research and development funding, publishing, and communications.
- Statistical Yearbook (UN Statistical Office) Ref HA 12.5 .U63 International statistics on population, production, wages, prices, consumption, finance, culture, agriculture, manufacturing, mining, energy, trade, transport, and communications are supplied. Publication lags 4-5 years.
- Vital Statistics on the Presidency. Ref JK 518 .R34 1996 Contains "ten essays and more than 150 tables and figures that identify key statistical patterns about the presidency as an institution. Statistical tables include personal backgrounds and political experience, campaign lengths, finances, media coverage, electoral data, speeches, appearances, public activities, public approval, staffing, and decision making."
- Yearbook of International Trade Statistics (UN) Ref HF 91 .U473A Volume 1 includes statistics of trade by country; Volume 2 supplies statistics of trade by commodity. Publication lags 2-3 years.
- Year Book of Labour Statistics (UN/ILO) Ref HD 4826 .I63 International statistics on employment, wages, labor costs, consumer prices, occupational injuries, and labor stoppages are given.
Voting and Election
Political Science Index/Databases
International Studies Index/Databases