Want more info?
Bradley’s Department of Mathematics offers an undergraduate curriculum leading to a Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics. The program prepares graduates to be effective mathematicians possessing strong technical knowledge as well as knowledge from a selection of other courses from other disciplines. The emphasis in the Mathematics courses progresses from problem solving to formulating problems in mathematical language and dealing with mathematical structures and abstract ideas.
Students in Bradley’s Mathematics program work directly with faculty who understand that students will have diverse career interests and goals. Math students can expect small classes and personal attention from professors who will get to know them and guide them into careers of their interest.
Some of the specialized interests of Bradley’s faculty include:
- probability and statistics
- applied mathematics
- differential equations
- mathematical economics
- the history of mathematics
Many instructors will bring their research interests into the classroom and allow students to work collaboratively with them on projects.
Outside of the classroom, Bradley Mathematics majors have a wealth of cocurricular and cooperative learning experiences from which to choose, including the Mathematical Association of America (MAA):
- Bradley’s MAA student chapter is one of the five charter chapters in Illinois.
- Membership is open to all who are interested in mathematics and would like to learn more about mathematics.
- The Bradley chapter has sponsored field trips to such places as Allstate Insurance in Northbrook, speakers on careers and graduate school, teams to participate in college math competitions, and social activities.
Bradley Mathematics graduates enjoy a 95 percent placement rate within six months of graduation. A large number of our graduates are pursing careers in business and other fields. Bradley alumni currently hold significant positions nationally at:
- Ratheon Technical Services
- Discover Card Services
- TCF Bank
Recent graduates have gone into graduate programs at:
- Carnegie Mellon University
- Rice University
- University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign