Public Relations - Director of Public Relations and University Spokesperson
Applications are invited for the position of Director of Public Relations and University Spokesperson. The Director provides leadership and oversight to the Office of Public Relations and serves as the University Spokesperson in publicizing the institution as a university of national distinction and for crisis communications. The candidate selected will develop and implement a public relations plan focused on positioning the university and the accomplishments of its faculty and students to the regional media and coordinate efforts with a national public relations firm for national exposure, as needed. The Director reports directly to the President.
Bradley University is a distinctive, medium-sized, comprehensive private institution of higher learning located in Peoria, Illinois. U.S. News & World Report recognized Bradley as the top Illinois University of its type and sixth among comprehensive universities in the Midwest providing a full range of undergraduate and master’s programs. With approximately 5,000 undergraduate and 800 graduate students, Bradley offers opportunities and choice of a larger university (with over 130 programs in five colleges, plus a graduate school) with the quality, personal attention, and commitment to learning of a small private college. For additional information about the University visit www.bradley.edu.
- Manage the Office of Public Relations including staff and budget management
- Serve as the university's spokesperson to the media and other constituents
- Oversee and contribute to news releases distributed to the media
- Identify and execute on media opportunities to promote the university and its faculty
- Prepare, coordinate and distribute communications with a national public relations firm partner, as needed
- Conduct research and maintain knowledge of current issues in higher education
- Prepare talking points for speeches, interviews and presentations for senior administrators
- Provide updates and reports to the President on community issues of relevance
- Monitor and assess the outcomes of public relations messaging and make appropriate adjustments to the public relations plan
- Oversee and contribute to crisis communication messaging
- Accessibility during off hours is critical to the position for responding to any need for emergency communications
- Maintain the strictest level of confidentiality
- Bachelor's degree in communication, public relations, journalism or related field
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Minimum of 5 years experience in communications, public relations, broadcasting, journalism or related career employment
- Excellent verbal and presentation skills
To apply, provide a letter of interest addressing how the applicant’s qualifications and experiences directly addresses the requirements of the position, a resume and complete contact information for three professional references. Submit applications electronically to Dr. David Glassman at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please title the subject line: Public Relations-Spokesperson.
Review of applications will begin immediately and the position will be open until filled. Employment with Bradley University is contingent on satisfactory completion of a criminal background check.
Bradley University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. The administration, faculty and staff are committed to attracting qualified candidates from underrepresented groups.