Advancement - Director of Development for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Bradley University seeks a development officer for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences to oversee the major gift fundraising efforts for the college. The Director works closely with the new Dean for the College, key faculty, and University leaders to raise private gift support for the College. The ideal candidate must be an energetic, highly motivated, donor focused, results-oriented fundraising professional who possesses a can-do attitude, perseverance, optimism and the ability to think strategically and creatively to meet ambitious fundraising goals.
The director is responsible for the qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of major gift donors and prospects associated with the College. The position reports to the vice president of advancement.
Founded in 1897, Bradley University is a distinctive, medium-size comprehensive, private institution of higher learning. The University is located on an 85-acre campus in Peoria, the largest metropolitan area in central Illinois. With approximately 5,000 undergraduates and 800 graduate students, Bradley offers the opportunities and choices of a larger University (with over 130 programs in five colleges, including the traditional liberal arts and sciences as well as programs in communications, business, engineering, education and the health sciences plus a graduate school) and the quality, personal attention and challenge of small private college. With over 60,000 alumni, Bradley is rich in tradition and full of promise to become one of the nation’s best comprehensive universities. Visit www.bradley.edu to learn more about the University.
- Plan, develop, and oversee the implementation of cultivation and solicitation strategies for qualified major gift prospects in the College.
- Work closely with the dean of the College, as well as faculty, University president, vice president for advancement, and other development officers to maximize private support to Bradley.
- Comprehensive understanding of the priorities of the University and ability to make a persuasive verbal and written case supporting key programs and projects, effectively matching the interests of prospects to the strategic needs of the University.
- Solicit gifts of $50,000 and above in support of University initiatives.
- Manage a portfolio of 175 prospects ensuring that each receive regular and consistent moves toward solicitation and stewardship.
- Secure and conduct a minimum of 15 personal visits monthly to qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward University donors and prospects.
- Meet dollar and activity metrics set by the vice president for advancement.
- Write timely follow-up and related materials such as contact reports, cover and thank you letters, e-mail correspondence, reports, briefings, and proposals.
- Track and record activities as they relate to assigned prospects using prospect management database.
- Participate as an active member of the advancement office, sharing information and collaborating with colleagues in a respectful and professional manner and contributing to a healthy and positive work environment.
- Perform other duties as assigned in support of Bradley University.
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated successful skill and effectiveness in relationship building and solicitation of individual major donors.
- Discretion and an ability to interact with high-level donors and maintain confidentiality; proven ability to apply good judgment and responsible decision-making.
- Strong interpersonal skills are required, both written and verbal, as well as high-level sophistication and maturity in social and professional settings.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Flexible and comfortable in a fast-paced environment, with excellent follow through.
- Entrepreneurial spirit, positive attitude and energy to implement new strategies and meet ambitious goals.
- Strong organization skills, with keen attention to detail.
- Willingness and ability to travel extensively beyond campus community.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum of six years professional experience and 2 years in fundraising preferably in higher education and major gifts.
- Demonstrated record of professional achievement.
- Valid driver's license and ability to travel as needed.
Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest addressing the qualifications for the position, current resume and complete contact information for three professional references electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or via direct mail to:
Director of Development, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Hayden-Clark Alumni Center
Peoria, IL 61625
Applications will also be accepted electronically by email to: email@example.com. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled. Employment with Bradley University is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check.
Bradley University is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. The administration, faculty and staff are committed to attracting qualified candidates from groups currently underrepresented on our campus.