November 15, 2012
At approximately 9 p.m. today, the Bradley University Police Department was notified of a robbery that occurred about nine hours earlier in the 1200 block of N. Underhill Street. At 2:34 p.m. on Thursday, November 15, 2012, a male student contacted the Peoria Police Department and reported that he was the victim of a robbery. The student reported that at approximately noon, while standing next to his apartment building, he was approached by two males. One male struck him and forcibly took his backpack. The second male said he had a gun, however, no weapon was seen. The male student received no injuries as a result of the incident. An investigation is continuing.
The victim could only state the the suspects were males, 19-21 years old.
If anyone witnessed this incident or has further information, they are asked to contact Bradley Police Department at 309-677-2000 or the Peoria Police Department at 309-673-4521.
All Bradley University students, faculty, staff, guests and visitors are reminded to:
- Report suspicious people immediately to the Bradley Police Department by calling 309-677-2000 or using one of the emergency blue light phones on or near campus.
- Do not leave your property, vehicles or homes unsecured.
- Use the Student Patrol or Bradley Police Department escort programs by calling 309-677-2000. Programs operate during evening and night hours.
- Walk in pairs or groups, especially during the evening and night.
- Always remain aware of your surroundings.
- Do not become distracted by talking on your cell phone or listening to music through headphones on a high volume.
- Travel on well-lit, busy streets and avoid walking through alleys or parking lots.
- Be aware of places along your path of travel that could conceal a criminal (shrubbery, building recesses, etc.). Avoid or keep a distance from these areas whenever possible.
- Take note of suspicious vehicles, especially those that appear to be circling the block or driving unusually slow. If you observe a suspicious vehicle, relay its description and location to the Bradley Police Department by calling 309-677-2000 or using one of the emergency blue light phones on or near campus.
- If you think someone is following you, cross the street, head for a well-populated, well-lit area and contact the Bradley Police Department.
- If approached, give up your property.
A safety alert is a means to notify students, faculty and staff about incidents that represent a serious or continuing threat to the campus, based on the nature and location of the incident.