September 24, 2012
At approximately 10:39 p.m. on Monday, September 24, 2012, Bradley University police and the City of Peoria police responded to an armed robbery in the St. James Apartment Complex near 1015 W. St. James. The suspect approached two female students, displayed a handgun, and obtained property. The suspect then fled westbound toward University Street. No one was injured. Bradley and Peoria police searched the area but did not locate the suspect. An investigation is continuing.
The suspect involved in the robbery is described as a male black, 5'8 to 5'9" with cornrow hair pulled back in a ponytail, wearing a red baseball cap, black leather style jacket, and dark baggie jeans. He was armed with a small black handgun.
If anyone witnessed this incident or has further information, they are asked to contact Bradley Police Department at 309-677-2000.
All Bradley University students, faculty, staff, guests and visitors are reminded to:
- Report suspicious people immediately to the Bradley Police Department by calling 309-677-2000 or using one of the emergency blue light phones on or near campus.
- Do not leave your property, vehicles or homes unsecured.
- Use the Student Patrol or Bradley Police Department escort programs by calling 309-677-2000. Programs operate during evening and night hours.
- Walk in pairs or groups, especially during the evening and night.
- Always remain aware of your surroundings.
- Do not become distracted by talking on your cell phone or listening to music through headphones on a high volume.
- Travel on well-lit, busy streets and avoid walking through alleys or parking lots.
- Be aware of places along your path of travel that could conceal a criminal (shrubbery, building recesses, etc.). Avoid or keep a distance from these areas whenever possible.
- Take note of suspicious vehicles, especially those that appear to be circling the block or driving unusually slow. If you observe a suspicious vehicle, relay its description and location to the Bradley Police Department by calling 309-677-2000 or using one of the emergency blue light phones on or near campus.
- If you think someone is following you, cross the street, head for a well-populated, well-lit area and contact the Bradley Police Department.
- If approached, give up your property.
A safety alert is a means to notify students, faculty and staff about incidents that represent a serious or continuing threat to the campus, based on the nature and location of the incident.