Nursing & Physical Therapy Career Fair
Tuesday, November 10, 2015
Noon - 3:00pm
Michel Student Center, Ballroom
- List of Registered Organizations - registered organizations available soon
Attend the Nursing & Physical Therapy Career Fair to:
- Explore career options
- Network with prospective employers
- Submit your resume for an internship or full-time job
Typically, students attend the fair to learn about career opportunities and identify potential internship, cooperative education, and full-time positions.
The Nursing & Physical Therapy Career Fair attracts employers representing a wide variety of healthcare related organizations.
- Plan to attend job search-related workshops offered by the Smith Career Center
- Prepare resume and select appropriate interview attire.
Attire for Women
- Quintessential Careers articles - "What Should Women Wear to a Job Interview?"
- Sample Suits
- Adam Glassman's Perfect Interview Attire (video from Oprah)
Attire for Men
- Review List of Participating Employers and identify employers of interest. (Typically available in August)
- Visit web sites of your selected employers to review product/services, locations, and employment information.
- Log-in to Bradley netWORK to view job descriptions and potential interview schedules for selected employers.
- Prepare a "30-second" introduction of yourself.
30-second Introduction (First Impressions count!)Effectively introducing yourself at a job fair takes some practice. Your goal is to get the conversation started by providing basic information about your background, identifying your career interest, and sharing a "conversation starter" which demonstrates your knowledge and interest.
Look at Your INFOmercial (video) and Elevator Pitch Guide (infographic).Part 1: Your background (information about yourself to provide context for the conversation)
- Year in school
- Major (if it supports your career goal)
- Highlights of relevant experience (work, classes, leadership experiences)
- Type of job desired (intern or full-time)
- Knowledge of or connection to the organization
- I see from your web site that you are seeking summer interns, can you tell me more about the qualifications you are seeking?
- I am familiar with your organization because I have been a volunteer with you for three years. I am pleased to see that you have full-time openings. What is your application process for these positions?
- I have been following your organization through your social media feeds. Can you tell me more about _________________?
- Review the Job Fair Tips Information Guide for additional suggestions.
Day of the Event
- Bring your list of selected employers, a folder or portfolio with pen/paper, and multiple copies of your resume.
- Plan to spend at least 60 minutes talking with your selected employers.
- Ask each employer about appropriate application follow-up. Ask for a business card.
- Make notes about follow-up steps. Complete online applications and other follow-up activities within a few days of the event.
Sample Questions to Ask
- What key skills are you looking for in your candidates?
- What is the application process for this position?
- When do you hope to have these positions filled?
- When will you be selecting candidates to invite to an interview?
- If I am offered an interview, do you have any suggestions on how I should prepare?
- Once I submit an application, how should I follow up with you?
- How did you get started with this employer?
- Do you have any suggestions/advice on additional experience I should gather before making application?