Thursday, February 13, 2014
11:00am - 3:00pm
Held in Bradley's Renaissance Coliseum
Attend the Spring Job Fair to:
- Explore career options
- Network with prospective employers
- Submit your resume for an internship or full-time job
- Sign up for interviews-many employers will be building interview schedules at the Fair
Typically 900 or more students attend the fair to learn about career opportunities and identify potential internship, cooperative education, and full-time positions.
QUICK TIPS (PDF)
- Prepare resume and select appropriate interview attire.
Attire for Women
- Quintessential Careers articles - "What Should Women Wear to a Job Interview?"
- Sample Suits
- Adam Glassman's Perfect Interview Attire (video from Oprah)
Attire for Men
- Review List of Participating Employers and identify employers of interest.
- Visit web sites of your selected employers to review product/services, locations, and employment information.
- Log-in to Bradley netWORK to view job descriptions and potential interview schedules for selected employers.
- Prepare a "30-second" introduction of yourself.
30-second Introduction (First Impressions count!)Effectively introducing yourself at a job fair takes some practice. Your goal is to get the conversation started by providing basic information about your background, identifying your career interest followed by a "conversation starter" which demonstrates your knowledge and interest.
Part 1: Your background (information about yourself to provide context for the conversation)
- Year in school
- Major (if it supports your career goal)
- Highlights of relevant experience (work, classes, leadership experiences)
- Type of job desired (intern or full-time)
- Knowledge of or connection to the organization
- I see from your web site that you are seeking a summer interns, can you tell me more about the qualifications you are seeking?
- I am familiar with your organization because I have been a volunteer with you for three years. I am pleased to see that you have full-time openings. What is your application process for these positions?
- I have been following your organization through your social media feeds. Can you tell me more about _________________?
- Review the Job Fair Tips Information Guide for additional suggestions.
Day of the Event
- Bring your list of selected employers, a folder or portfolio with pen/paper, and multiple copies of your resumes.
- Plan to spend at least 60 minutes talking with your selected employers.
- Ask each employer about appropriate application follow-up. Ask for a business card, as appropriate.
- Make notes about follow-up steps. Complete online applications and other follow-up activities within a few days of the event.
Sample Questions to Ask
- What key skills are you looking for in your candidates?
- What is the application process for this position?
- When do you hope to have these positions filled?
- When will you be selecting candidates to invite to an interview?
- If I am lucky enough to get an interview, do you have any suggestions on how I should prepare?
- Once I submit an application, is it OK to follow up with you? What date should I target?
- How did you get started with the employer?
- Any suggestions/advice on additional experience I should gather before making application?
Frequently Asked Questions