If you want to read what others have said about Kevin Stein's poetry and criticism, see these journals and websites.
"Stein's poems are packed - their languages colorful and richly textured, their casts of characters and bazaars of images wildly various.....His poems are chockful of intelligence and eclectic learning."
Feature Articles and Interviews
- Susanna Kline interview, "Kevin Stein: Poet Laureate and Future Celebutante,"Smile Politely, March 16, 2011. http://www.smilepolitely.com/arts/kevin_stein_poet_laureate_future_celebutante/
- Katie Hillenbrand, "An Interview Kevin Stein and Five New Poems," Connotation Press, Volume 2, Issue 8 (April 2011). http://connotationpress.com/poetry/804-kevin-stein-poetry
- Richard Pallardy, "Poetry for the People: Five Questions with Illinois Poet Laureate Kevin Stein," Encyclopedia Britannica Blog, April 15, 2011.http://www.britannica.com/blogs/2011/04/5-questions-illinois-poet-laurete-kevin-stein/
- Digital Culture Books, August 2, 2010 http://www.digitalculture.org/news/author-interview-kevin-stein-on-poetrys-afterlife-verse-in-the-digital-age
- Clare Howard, "Power of poetry reinforced for Illinois poet laureate," Peoria Journal Star, October 2009. http://www.pjstar.com/archive/x1658511518/Power-of-poetry-reinforced-for-Illinois-poet-laureate
- Bridget Maiellaro, "The Annotated Poem: Rebel with a Clause," Chicago Magazine, January 2009: 23. http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/January-2009/Rebel-with-a-Clause/
- The Poetry Foundation, “Kevin Stein.” Archive Entry (Chicago, IL) http://www.poetryfoundation.org/archive/poet.html?id=6545
- James Ballowe, “An Interview with Kevin Stein,” Fifth Wednesday 1 (Fall 2007): 8-11.
- Wendy Anderson, “An Interview with Kevin Stein,” Book Slut www.bookslut.com]http://www.bookslut.com/features/2008_07_013080.php
- Joanna Beth Tweedy, “A Conversation with Illinois Poet Laureate Kevin Stein,”Quiddity 1 (No. 1/ 2007): 19-22.
- Lois Mintah, “An Interview with Illinois Poet Laureate Kevin Stein,”www.writing.com(Two-part interview first appearing 3-15-08 and 4-1-08).
- “Poet Laureates around the Nation: An Interview with Kevin Stein.” Education Update ( New York City and AOL.com). 2006.
- Ben Dreesen, “An Interview with Illinois Poet Laureate Kevin Stein,” Numéro (April 2006): 12-17.
- “Poet Laureates around the Nation: An Interview with Kevin Stein.” Education Update ( New York City and AOL.com). Vol. 8, No. 8 (2005), p. 16.
- Robin Travis-Murphree, featured article, online athttp://www.poeticvoices.com/Features/0002Stein.html (February 2000).
Reviews of Poetry's Afterlife
- David Shook, World Literature Today, March/April 2012, p. 78
- Leah Graham, "O Taste and See: A Review of Kevin Stein's Poetry's Afterlife," Fall 2011, Fifth Wednesday Journal 9: 221-223
- Anna Leahy, "The Future of Literary Citizenship: A Review Essay," September 5, 2011. http://fictionwritersreview.com/essays/the-future-of-literary-citizenship-a-review-essay
- Mark Eleveld, "Poetry Roundup," Chicago Sun-Times, July 24, 2011. http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/books/4942228-421/poetry-roundup.html
- Gary Panetta, "Discovering a New World of Poetry," Peoria Journal-Star, April 11, 2010
Reviews of Sufficiency of the Actual
- Mark Liebenow, Hayden's Ferry Review Blog, June 23, 2010. http://haydensferryreview.blogspot.com/search?q=liebenow
- Poet Hound, April 21, 2009.http://poethound.blogspot.com/2009/04/kevin-steins-sufficiency-of-actual.html
- Mark Eleveld, "Poetry Roundup: 'One Secret Thing,'" rev. of Sufficiency of the Actual, Chicago Sun-Times/January 11, 2009.
- Thea Chesley, "A Poetic Roller Coaster - Hold on for the Ride," rev. of Sufficiency of the Actual/Illinois Times/November 5, 2009
- Julia Keller, "The State's Go-to Poet," Chicago Tribune / Books & Entertainment / January 24, 2009, pp. 1 and 5.
Reviews of American Ghost Roses
- C J Laity, rev. of American Ghost Roses , “Top Dog: Kevin Stein.” <chicagopoetry.com> October 26, 2007.http://chicagopoetry.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=710
- Jean-Paul Pecqueur, rev. of American Ghost Roses , in Rain Taxi: Review of Books , Winter 2005/2006 (OnLine Edition:www.raintaxi.com/online/2005winter/stein.shtml
- D. H. Tracy, “Eight Takes,” rev. of American Ghost Roses , in Poetry , Vol. 187, No. 4 (January 2006): 332-333.
- Susan Swartwout, “Listen, Dammit, I AM the Poem, or Postmodernism’s Baby,” rev. of American Ghost Roses , in American Book Review (March/April 2006): pp. 22-23.
- James Ballowe, rev. of American Ghost Roses , in North Dakota Quarterly 73 (Nos. 1 & 2): 277-279.
- James A. Cox, rev. of American Ghost Roses, in Wisconsin Bookwatch, April 2005: pg.12.
Reviews of Chance Ranson
- Jim Simmerman, rev. of Chance Ransom, in The Colorado Review 28 (Spring 2001): 157-161.
- James Ballowe, rev. of Chance Ransom, in North Dakota Review68, (No.4 Fall 2001): 198-201.
- Robin Travis-Murphree, rev. of Chance Ransom, online at http://www.poeticvoices.com/Reviews/0101Stein.html (January 2001).
Reviews of Bruised Paradise
- Donald Revell, rev. of Bruised Paradise, in The Colorado Review25 (Fall 1998): 173-179.
- Elizabeth Dodd, "Lush," rev. of Bruised Paradise, in Tar River Poetry 38, No.2 (Spring 1999): 51-53.
- Laura Durnell, rev. of Bruised Paradise, in ACM (Another Chicago Magazine) 35: 242-244.
- Karen Carcia, rev. of Bruised Paradise, in The Indiana Review(1997): 173-174.
- Rev. of Bruised Paradise, in Publishers Weekly, 24 June 1996: 50.
- Carol Quinn, rev. of Bruised Paradise, in The Missouri Review 19 (No. 3 1996): 176-77.
- Jane Varley, rev. of Bruised Paradise, in North Dakota Quarterly65 (No. 2, 1998): 159-162.
- Frank Allen, "Dilemmas of Communication," rev. of Bruisd Paradise, in Poet Lore 91 (No. 4 / Winter 1996): 56-9.
- Rev. of Bruised Paradise, in Virginia Quarterly Review 73 (No. 2 / Spring 1997): 63.
- David Castleman, rev. of Bruised Paradise, in Mandrake Poetry Review 2 (No.3, 1997): 13.
- Rev. of Bruised Paradise, Publishers Weekly ( 4 June 1996).
Reviews of A Circus of Want
- Curt Rode, "The Gradual Dispatch of the World," rev. of A Circus of Want, in The American Book Review 16 (July/August 1994): 25-26.
- James Harms, rev. of A Circus of Want, in Antioch Review. Summer 1994.
- Sally Thomas, rev. of A Circus of Want, in Quarterly West, No. 36(Fifteenth Anniversary Issue/Winter 1992): 232-236.
- Charles Guenther, "Poets of Form and Freedom," rev. of A Circus of Want, in St. Louis Post-Dispatch, 25 October 1992: 120.
- Review of A Circus of Want, in Publishers' Weekly, 10 August 1992: 66.
- - Starred Review - Awarded books of exceptional merit
Reviews of The Figure Our Bodies Make
- Robert Boyd, "Finding Words for Life." Review of The Figure Our Bodies Make, St. Louis Post-Dispatch, 25 December 1988: 121.
Reviews of Private Poets, Worldly Acts
- Review of Private Poets, Worldly Acts, in Amazon.com, October 1997.
- - Small Press Editor’s Recommended Book 10/01/97
- Donald Revell, rev. of Private Poets, Worldly Acts, in the Colorado Review 25 (Fall 1998): 173-179.
- Kirk Nesset, rev. of Private Poets, Worldly Acts, in American Literature (March 1998): 210.
- Susan Yuzna, rev. of Private Poets, Worldly Acts, in North Dakota Quarterly 65 (1998): 157-158.
- D. Garrison, rev. of Private Poets, Worldly Acts, in Choice 34, No. 10 ( (June 1997): 1667-1668.
- Review of Private Poets, Worldly Acts, in Christian Century (27 Aug-3 Sep 1997): 768.
- Review of Private Poets, Worldly Acts, online at http://www.poeticvoices.com/Features/0002Stein.html
Reviews of James Wright: The Poetry of a Grown Man
- R. W. Butterfield, rev. of James Wright: The Poetry of a Grown Man, in Cambridge Journals (England) 25, No. 3 (1992): 515-517.
- David Galef, rev. of James Wright: The Poetry of a Grown Man, in American Literature (December 1989): 725-726.
- J. Martz, rev. of James Wright: The Poetry of a Grown Man, in Choice (July 1989): 231.
- Edward Lense, rev. of James Wright: The Poetry of a Grown Man, in Ohioana Journal 32, No. 3: 145-146.
- Review of James Wright: The Poetry of a Grown Man, in The Book Reader 3, No. 2 (13 March 1989): 2.