On-Campus Employment

F-1 and J-1 students may work in any on-campus job (when the payment is from the university) for up to 20 hours per week while school is in session and up to 40 hours per week during the following approved breaks only: summer and winter. Students must have a social security number to work.

J-1 students may not begin a job without written authorization from the international advisor. J-1 students are eligible to apply for authorization from ISS as soon as they arrive on campus and receive a job offer.

Off-Campus Employment

F-1 students must have been enrolled full-time for at least one academic year before obtaining authorization to work off-campus. Work authorization must be recommended by an international advisor, and in some cases, approved by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

F-1 and J-1 students must have approval before working in an off-campus job.