On Campus

In order to qualify as on-campus work, your employer must be Bradley University. Bradley has different on-campus work opportunities for students, but there is no guarantee that you will find a job on-campus in your first semester. The Smith Career Center hosts a Part-time Employment Expo every August where you can meet with employers looking to hire part-time. Some positions on campus may require work-study eligibility which does not apply to international students. For help with finding a part-time job on campus, set up an appointment with a career advisor at the Smith Career Center


  • You can start working on-campus immediately in your first semester.
  • You can work up to 20 hours per week during the semester.
  • You can work up to 30 hours per week during the winter, summer, and spring breaks.
  • Bradley must be your employer and issue your paycheck. (The only exception to this rule is working as an approved tutor for Tutor Matching Service, a contracted employer with Bradley University.)
  • Must complete paperwork with Student Payroll.
  • Must apply for a Social Security Number once you have an offer of employment.
  • Important: J-1 students cannot begin working in any job without first receiving written permission from ISS.


Student Payroll, located on the 2nd floor of Sisson Hall, handles Form I-9 for on-campus employment, manages student timecards, issues paychecks, and distributes W-2s for tax purposes.

When you are offered a job with an on-campus employer, you will need to complete the necessary paperwork with Payroll. This includes bringing them your receipt letter from the Social Security Administration so they can begin your paperwork and then bringing them your Social Security Card once it has been issued and you receive it.

Payroll requires you to enroll full-time in classes or to be approved for a Reduced Course Load before they will approve you for work on-campus. If you have a Reduced Course Load, you will have received an approval email from ISS that you will need to print and bring to Payroll.


  • Jobs are limited. There is no guarantee that you will find a department that will be willing to hire you.
  • Hours are restricted. Government regulations only allow for international students to work up to 20 hours per week while school is in session. Once school is on winter or summer break, you can work up to 30 hours per week on-campus. If you do find a job on-campus, you will likely only be able to work a small amount of hours.
  • Bradley must be your “boss”. In order for employment to qualify for “on-campus”, Bradley must be your employer and pay you. Some examples include resident assistant, graduate assistant, dining services, library, maintenance, etc.