Visiting scholars are expected to complete their program by the end date on the DS-2019. However, if you are unable to complete your program by your end date, you can apply for an extension of your immigration document. In order to apply for an extension, you will need to have a compelling reason that has been approved by your Bradley University host.

You must apply for an extension at least 2 weeks before the program end date on your DS-2019. Additional details and requirements can be found on the Immigration Status Extension Request form, which must be submitted in order to apply for an extension.


To be eligible for an immigration document extension, you must have:

  • Maintained your J-1 immigration status
  • A reason related specifically to your program (teaching or research) for extending

Proof of Funding

In order to request an extension of your immigration status, you must show proof of funding to cover the extension period. The following minimum amount must be shown:

  • Scholar: $1,598 per month AND (if applicable)
  • 1st Dependent: $799 per month
  • 2nd Dependent (and each dependent after 2nd): $399 per month