International students are expected to complete their program by the end date on the I-20 or DS-2019. However, if you are unable to complete your program by your end date, you can apply for an extension of your immigration document. In order to apply for an extension, you will need to have a compelling academic or medical reason that has been reviewed and approved by your graduate coordinator/academic advisor.
You must apply for an extension at least 2 weeks before the program end date on your I-20 or DS-2019. Additional details and requirements can be found on the Immigration Status Extension Request form, which must be submitted in order to apply for an extension.
To be eligible for an immigration document extension, you must have:
- Maintained your immigration status (this includes making normal progress towards your degree)
- A compelling academic or medical reason for extending such as one of the following:
- Change of major
- Change in research topic or unexpected research delays
- Loss of credits upon transfer to Bradley
- Documented illness or medical condition
Proof of Funding
In order to request an extension of your immigration status, you must show proof of funding to cover the extension period. See the Immigration Status Extension Request form for minimum funding requirements.
If you plan to have a Reduced Course Load Request for your extension period, then you will not need to show the full cost of tuition, only the tuition and fees for the courses you will be enrolled in. However, in order for us to consider a waiver for any part of the total amount, you will need to submit the Reduced Course Load Request in addition to the Immigration Status Extension Request.
- Immigration Status Extension Request
- Immigration Status Extension Advisor Form – will be an online form automatically sent to the advisor email you input.
- Make sure to speak with your academic advisor or graduate coordinator about your extension request before completing the request so they know to expect the online advisor form.
- Proof of Financial Support – must cover full expenses of the student for the length of the requested extension plus any dependents
- Affidavit of Support for Immigration Status Extension – must provide if the financial documentation is not in your name