International students are expected to complete their program by the end date on the I-20 or DS-2019. However, if you are unable to complete your program by your end date, you can apply for an extension of your immigration document. In order to apply for an extension, you will need to have a compelling academic or medical reason that has been reviewed and approved by your graduate coordinator/academic advisor.

You must apply for an extension at least 2 weeks before the program end date on your I-20 or DS-2019. Additional details and requirements can be found on the Immigration Status Extension Request form, which must be submitted in order to apply for an extension.


To be eligible for an immigration document extension, you must have:

  • Maintained your immigration status (this includes making normal progress towards your degree)
  • A compelling academic or medical reason for extending such as one of the following:
    • Change of major
    • Change in research topic or unexpected research delays
    • Loss of credits upon transfer to Bradley
    • Documented illness or medical condition

Proof of Funding

In order to request an extension of your immigration status, you must show proof of funding to cover the extension period. See the Immigration Status Extension Request form for minimum funding requirements.

If you plan to have a Reduced Course Load Request for your extension period, then you will not need to show the full cost of tuition, only the tuition and fees for the courses you will be enrolled in. However, in order for us to consider a waiver for any part of the total amount, you will need to submit the Reduced Course Load Request in addition to the Immigration Status Extension Request.

Documentation Required