Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I study?

Start with the tab at left titled "Where Can I Study?"  Bradley "Affiliated Programs for Study Abroad" are listed there, and the range of programs on five continents and in many countries is extensive.

What if I'm interested in a program not on the list? If a study program that is not on our list of affiliates seems to best meets your needs, you may attend it and transfer academic credit back to BU (assuming that the program is accredited and approved by the Director of International Programs). However, BU financial assistance cannot be used to attend non-affiliated programs, and other limiting factors apply. Therefore, we direct you first to examine our broad array of affiliate programs first.

How much does it cost?

At a BU Affiliated Program for Study Abroad, you will pay Bradley tuition. Your personal financial assistance package may apply.  Check with the financial assistance office. That commitment by Bradley means that study abroad is possible for Bradley students -- especially if you begin to plan early in your academic career.  

Are there additional costs? One additional cost, of course, is airfare (you will purchase airfare individually). You will pay BU tuition directly to Bradley, and pay other costs direct to the program. What are some of these? Of major expenses, generally speaking, housing costs in programs abroad are similar, or more favorable, compared to BU on-campus housing costs. Other expenses, such as specific program fees, optional travel, out-of-pocket expenses, and other miscellaneous expenses are the individual responsibility of the student. These vary, but all of our affiliate programs provide estimates that will make your budget process well-informed. These cost estimates will be provided at the beginning of your application process. 

Can I take courses in my major?

Yes. Students in any major can study abroad. Our list of affiliated programs has been expanded within the last two years to comprise a broad range of programs on five continents and in many countries. These programs accommodate students in every College, and with any academic interest. You will work with your faculty advisor to see which courses will fit best with your major.

Is a foreign language required?

No, it isn't. There are excellent English-language programs available in surprising places such as South America – check out our new affiliated program in Argentina’s greatest city, Buenos Aires. In Europe, strong English-language affiliated programs accommodate students in many majors, in cities including CopenhagenAmsterdamPragueRomeFlorence, and Budapest. For example, at ESSCA in Angers, France, business majors take business courses in an English-language Spring Semester program; in Amsterdam, students take pre-law and criminology courses in English; in Copenhagen, students take psychology, teacher education, international studies, and sustainability courses  . . . and those are just a few examples.

And of course, BU students can study abroad in English at excellent programs in the wide, wide anglosphere, including England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, and Australia!

When Should I Go?

Studying for a semester or year abroad is often undertaken in a student’s junior year, but options are available for sophomores and seniors as well. Each student chooses the best time to study abroad based upon a variety of factors; most important is how study abroad fits with his or her academic program on campus.

Will I receive Bradley credit?

Yes. Courses taken abroad will be pre-approved for credit as a requirement for the major, minor, or for General Education credit or elective credit, and the pre-approval process means that you will know beforehand exactly how courses will transfer into your DARS. Courses taken at an affiliated program count as Bradley credit hours, and you will make progress toward graduation. On your BU transcript, courses taken abroad will be recorded as Pass or Fail, with a grade noted in parentheses (A, B, or C for Pass, D or F for Fail). Note: you must earn at least a "C" equivalent abroad to have the course count as BU credit -- in other words, it must be a Pass. Grades earned abroad, and noted parenthetically on your transcript, will NOT be computed into your your Bradley GPA, so courses taken abroad do not influence a Bradley GPA.

I'm a transfer student; can I study abroad?

Yes indeed. Like first-semester freshmen, transfer students must establish a Bradley GPA before they apply for a semester-long study abroad program. This generally eliminates incoming transfer juniors from applying during their first semester on campus for a semester-long Spring Semester program abroad. However, you still have many options. For example, you are eligible for Spring Semester on-campus courses with a Spring Break travel component (ask your academic advisor about these). You can also register in January, once your BU GPA is established, for May Interim programs abroad. And, of course, you can apply then for a semester-long program abroad in Fall or Spring of your senior year. As long as the program you attend is an affiliated program, these hours will even count as BU “resident” hours for graduation. For strategies, talk to your academic advisor or contact the Study Abroad office for an appointment.

Is there a GPA minimum?

Yes; a minimum 2.5 Bradley GPA is required to apply for study abroad, and some programs specify higher GPA minimums (2.75 or 3.0, for example). You must determine a program's minimum GPA requirements before you begin the application process.

One Semester or a full year?

Most BU students who study abroad go for one semester, but by all means, consider a full academic year abroad. It depends on the student and the course of study, but a general maxim of study abroad professionals is that no student returns to the home campus believing they studied abroad too long! 

Whom do I contact?

For more information contact the International Programs Office.