The following University policies govern student participation in Bradley "Affiliated Programs for Study Abroad" as well as in other programs. 


1.  Bradley "Affiliated Programs for Study Abroad" are those programs and institutions with which Bradley has a formal affiliation. These programs are listed (at left) under “Where Can I Study?” All policies here that refer to “affiliated programs” refer to programs on this list.

2.  Students may determine that a study program which is not on our list of affiliates better meets their needs, and they may attend those and transfer academic credit back to BU (assuming that the program is accredited and approved by the Director of International Programs). However, BU financial assistance cannot be used to attend these non-affiliated programs, and other limiting factors apply. Therefore, we direct BU students to examine our broad array of affiliate programs first (see "Where Can I Study?).

3.   Students must complete a study abroad application and receive pre-approval for study abroad programs and courses from their Academic Advisor, the Department Chair and Dean of the College concerned, and the Director of International Programs. An extended academic stay and/or change of program location must have the Director's approval, in consultation with the Academic Advisor, Department Chair, and Dean.

4.  Approval for the student's specific program of study, including prospective courses, must be obtained prior to departure. Late approval of courses will be considered on an individual basis in cases where students must wait until arrival abroad for academic placement.

5.  Students must have a minimum 2.5 Bradley cumulative GPA to apply for any study abroad program, and many affiliated programs specify a higher GPA requirement. GPA and other application criteria, deadlines, and necessary application components must be ascertained by the student applicant. Students on academic or disciplinary probation are not eligible to apply or register for study abroad programs. 

6.  Students studying abroad full-time for either a semester or a year are registered as full-time Bradley students.

7.   Academic credit hours earned in a program abroad are recorded on a student’s Bradley transcript as "in residence credit" for affiliated study abroad programs, and as "transfer credit" for all other study abroad programs. The International Programs Office evaluates study abroad credit based on the study abroad transfer of credit approval form. The credit earned is then posted on the student's Bradley transcript by the Registrar's Office. Courses taken at a program abroad are recorded on Bradley transcripts as Pass (A, B, or C) or Fail (D or F). Note: a course recorded as “Fail” will NOT transfer for Bradley academic credit, but will be recorded on the student's Bradley transcript. The actual letter grade, or equivalent, awarded by the study abroad institution will appear on the transcript in parentheses. These grades are not computed into a student's cumulative GPA. In other words, courses taken abroad will count as earned academic credit hours, but will not influence a student's cumulative GPA.

8.  Courses taken abroad may be applied toward General Education requirements with the approval of the Associate Dean, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (many courses are pre-approved; see "Study Abroad" on the General Education webpage). Courses taken abroad may be applied toward major, minor, or elective requirements with the approval of the Academic Advisor, Chair, and Dean of the Department and College concerned. Course equivalencies are determined in the Department and College concerned. In all cases, it is an important responsibility of the student applicant to secure pre-approval of General Education, major, minor, and/or elective credit and course equivalencies. The process should begin as the student initiates his or her application. Information is available through the Study Abroad office.

9.  A major advantage of attending an affiliated program abroad (vs. a non-affiliated program) is that courses at an affiliated program will count as hours taken “in residence” in terms of the BU "Residence Requirement" for graduation as follows: “24 of the last 30 semester hours must be earned in residence.” (Note: academic credit hours earned in affiliated and non-affiliated study abroad programs do NOT count toward requirements for the award of special honors at commencement, because they are not computed into a student's cumulative Bradley GPA.)

10.  Exceptions to requirements for participation may be granted at the discretion of the Director of International Programs with the approval of the appropriate academic dean and other relevant administrative offices or units.


1.  Eligibility for Bradley financial assistance is determined by the Office of Financial Assistance.

2.  Bradley financial assistance can be used for a semester or year of academic study at any BU Affiliated Program for Study Abroad. Bradley tuition will be charged for tuition for these  programs. BU financial assistance is NOT available for study at programs that are non-affiliated. Costs such as room and board are paid direct to the host institution or provider, and are generally required to be prepaid. Transportation expenses, onsite expenses during semester or term breaks, out-of-pocket expenses, and other miscellaneous expenses are the individual responsibility of the student. The International Programs Office will provide each study abroad applicant with a list of known and estimated expenses for the program to which the student applies.

3.  Students studying abroad will be billed by Bradley for tuition plus the Bradley Study Abroad Fee of $500. (For full payment schedules, consult the Study Abroad Office or the Controller's Office.)

4.  Individual student accounts in the Controller's Office must be paid in full, or students must receive special clearance prior to participating in any study abroad program.

Study Abroad Fee

Bradley University makes a substantial commitment to encourage and facilitate study abroad for all qualified students who wish to study abroad. The University is guided in the program by a conviction that study abroad is an opportunity that must be self-supporting as much as possible, i.e., students who are unable to take advantage of this program cannot be expected to subsidize those who do. Simultaneously, special services are required to ensure that study abroad students have an unimpeded academic experience. Therefore, participating students are assessed a $500 Study Abroad fee. This fee applies both to BU Affiliated Programs and to non-affiliated programs (these require separate approval) from which a BU student intends to transfer academic credit. The Study Abroad fee covers a number of administrative and other costs associated with study abroad, including: participation in an orientation; an International Student Identity Card with insurance provisions; assistance in completing appropriate study abroad applications, in securing departmental, college and university credit approvals prior to departure, in course approval revisions while students are abroad, in securing U.S. passports and foreign visas when applicable; in communicating directly with students, the academic provider, and on-campus faculty and staff, in evaluation of transcripts and processing of credit for courses completed abroad; for full use of all eligible financial assistance for enrollment in all Affiliated Programs Abroad; and for other academic and professional services.