Established in 1985, the Illinois Small Business Development Center (SBDC) at the Turner Center for Entrepreneurship has provided business counseling and support to entrepreneurs and existing businesses.
The Center has accomplished this by providing businesses with the resources needed to solve business-related problems and take advantage of new opportunities. Each year since 2001, we have assisted over 300 companies obtain loans and invest equity in excess of $3.5 million to start or expand their business, which has led to the creation and retention of more than 150 jobs each year.
We also provide assistance in technology commercialization, along with advising rural startups and businesses.
Starting a business can be a very exciting experience for an entrepreneur. It can also be confusing, overwhelming and frustrating. Whether you are a first time entrepreneur or a serial entrepreneur, you have questions. The Illinois Small Business Development Center at Bradley University helps entrepreneurs. Whether you are new, seasoned, student or community member we can help you ask the right questions and provide you with the resources to answer those questions as you evaluate your new venture.
- Guidance through business startup steps, including license/permit issues, choosing legal structure, name registration, startup financing, and sales/income tax responsibilities.
- Training on how to write a Business Plan, with an emphasis on bank expectations.
- Critique and suggestions on Business Plan content, financial projections and marketing plans.
- Analysis of feasibility of new business ideas.
- Provide low cost marketing ideas.
- Referrals to area professional services providers and lending institutions.
- Information on federal, state and local loan programs for new and existing businesses.
- Guidance through the bank financing process and contact information for local lenders.
- Advice on structuring company debt and equity.
- Access to micro loans
- Referral to angel investment groups and venture capital firms.
Workshops / Seminars:
- Bi-monthly "Starting Your Business in Illinois" workshops offered at no cost.
- Half day and full day seminars on marketing, HR, finance, taxes, and regulatory compliance. Please view our Calendar of Events for upcoming seminars.
The SBDC at Bradley University has been an integral guiding light along my nearly 8-year entrepreneurial journey. I received counseling to start my first and second businesses. More recently, I reconnected with the SBDC for guidance on succession planning. Each of my business advisors have been positively influential in creating a business I love waking up to, and which provide meaningful value to clients. Thanks for your continued support of me and our community!”
Francie Hinrichsen, Simply Integrated LLC, Morton IL