The Global Scholars Program provides a unique opportunity for College of Liberal Arts and Sciences majors to be exposed to a broad spectrum of global and cultural forces. It's designed to encourage you to be involved in global affairs, and it's a valuable springboard if you want to pursue future international opportunities. The program accomplishes this by introducing a global perspective to your general education courses in several disciplines.
You will earn a "Global Scholar" designation after completing requirements. The designation is recognized three ways:
- Formal recognition by the dean of the college
- Citation at the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Honors Day Ceremony
- Identification, through an exclusive logo, on your official university transcript and resume
World Languages - 0-8 hrs.
LAS Global Scholars students must complete at least two semesters of college-level foreign language study or its equivalent. This requirement may be met in several ways:
- Completion of a two-semester sequence (101-102) or higher.
- Transfer of similar credits from another institution.
- By proficiency examination (AP or CLEP). Note: if you place into a level above 102, only one course is necessary.
Coursework - 10 hrs.
- LAS 125: Global Topics - 1 hr.
- Bradley Core Curriculum (BCC) World Cultures category - 3 hrs.
- BCC Global Systems category - 3 hrs.
The third 3-credit hour course can also be from the World Cultures or Global Systems categories or from one of the following natural science courses:
- BIO 300: Population, Resources and Environment
- CHM 300: Chemistry and Civilization
- GES 300: Oceanography: The Human Perspective
Note: Only 3 credit hours can be from your major.
Study Abroad - 3 hrs.
Studying abroad gives you a deeper understanding of the institutions, history and languages of other societies and cultures. Bradley provides a variety of study abroad options throughout the year at institutions in 18 countries. Visit the Study Abroad website for more information.
Capstone - 3 hrs.
You have three options to complete this requirement:
- Completion of an independent study course on a global-themed topic (see list for courses)
- Completion of ENG 304: Advanced Writing – Research in Individual Discipline on a global-themed topic
- Completion of a capstone course on a global-themed topic (see list for courses)
You must earn a “B” or better in the capstone course. Capstone application form must be completed.
Note: You must maintain at least a 3.0 overall GPA at Bradley in order to graduate as an LAS Global Scholar.