Business and Engineering Convergence Center 2279
Ph.D., Civil and Environmental Engineering (Geotechnical Engineering), Georgia Institute of Technology
M.S., Civil and Environmental Engineering (Geotechnical Engineering), Georgia Institute of Technology
B.S., Civil and Environmental Engineering, Yonsei University
- 2015 – present, Assistant Professor, Bradley University
- Summer 2009, Spring 2011, Lecturer, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Numerical Methods in Civil Engineering
- Soil Mechanics
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Foundation Engineering
- Advanced Soil Mechanics
- Advanced Foundation Engineering
- Numerical Methods in Geomechanics
- Rock and Fracture Mechanics
- Fluid Flow in Porous Media
- Constitutive Modeling in Soil
Recent Research Grant
- “An Infrastructure for Geotechnical Building Information Modeling,” Sponsored by Heuser Research Award, 2016-2018 (Co-PI), Internal Grant.
- “Well bore deformation monitoring as a diagnostic tool during fluid injection,” Sponsored by Caterpillar Fellowship, 2016-2018 (PI), Internal Grant.
- “State-of-the-Practice Solutions in Civil Engineering – SHRP2 Education,” Sponsored by Strategic Highway Research Program (SHRP), Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), 2015-2016 (Co-PI), External Grant.
- “Shear band propagation with two tips in subaerial landslides and case studies,” Sponsored by Heuser Research Award, 2015-2018 (PI), Internal Grant.
- “Long-term behavior of pile foundation used for small-scale compressed air energy storage,” Sponsored by Research Excellence Award, 2015-2017 (PI), Internal Grant.
Selected Recent Publications
- -S. Lee, S. Kim, Ahtesham, A., Reddy Sathi, B.S., G. Hischke. 2017. Recent Trends in 3D Concrete Printing and Extraterrestrial Applications. Journal of Building Material and Structural Engineering, 1(1), 28-34.
- Kim, S., S. Kim, H. Seo, and M. Tummalapudi. 2017. “Investigation of small-scale CAES (compressed air energy storage) pile as a foundation system.” ASCE Geotechnical Special Publication 280, 103-112, Geotechnical Frontiers 2017, Orlando, FL, USA, March 12-15.
- Kim, S., S. Kim, H. Seo, and J. Jung. 2016. “Mechanical behavior of a pile used for small-scale compressed air energy storage.” ASCE Geotechnical Special Publication 270, 135-143, Geo-Chicago 2016 - Sustainability, Energy, and the Geoenvironment, Chicago, USA, August 14-18.
- Germanovich, L.N., Kim, and A.M., Puzrin. 2016 Dynamic growth of slip surfaces in catastrophic landslides, Proceedings of the Royal Society A, 472, 20150758, doi:10.1098/ rspa.2015.0758.
- Member, Asphalt Committee, Innovations in Construction, Asphalt and Transportation (ICAT) Conference
- Member, Graduate Committee
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- United States Universities Council on Geotechnical Education and Research (USUCGER)
Licensures and Certifications
Honors and Awards
- Parents' Association Award of Excellence, Bradley University Parents' Association, 2017
- Heuser Research Award, Caterpillar College of Engineering and Technology, 2015 and 2016
- Caterpillar Fellowship, Bradley University Provost Office, 2015
- Recognition for Excellence in Research, Bradley University Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP), 2015
- EIT (California)