Dr. Al-Khafaji receives the 2010 Frances G. Mergen Award for Public Service
August 18, 2010
By winning this award, Dr. Al-Khafaji is the first in Bradley's history to win all four major university awards. No other faculty has won more than two.
- The Rothberg Award for Scholarship (1991)
- The Parents Association Award of Excellence (2006)
- The Putnam Award for Teaching Excellence (2008), and
- The Frances G. Mergen Award for Public Service (2010)
Dr. Al-Khafaji established the Center for Emerging Technologies in Infrastructure (CETI) at Bradley University. The CETI plays a primordial role in providing CEC students with unique opportunities to interact with influential executives from industry. Through the CETI, he established two major conferences: the International Construction Innovations Conference (ICIC) and the Innovations Conference on Asphalt and Transportation (ICAT). These conferences bring together internationally renowned scholars, business leaders, and government officials providing unique opportunities for our students to learn and network.
Dr. Al-Khafaji is the co-author of 14 textbooks and solutions manuals. He was the first to develop the Global Explorer Program at Bradley during the January Interim of 1996. He was the first to establish the Teaching Excellence committee and the Research Excellence committee in CEC that subsequently were adopted by Bradley University at a later time. He served as chair of the national ASCE Task Force on Scholarship and Faculty Assessment, which produced a nationally recognized report on this important subject. He created the Bridge-Pals program to serve middle school and high school students within a 100 miles radius of Peoria. The program just celebrated its 20th anniversary and served thousands of students. Dr. Al-Khafaji also serves on the following boards and organizations:
- Board Member, Easter Seals
- W.D. Boyce Council of the Boy Scouts of America
- Muscular Dystrophy Association
- Executive Board, The Illinois State Black Chamber of Commerce.
- Chair of the Peoria Race Relations Commission
- Chair of the Peoria Stainability Commission.
- Organizing force behind the Peoria Unity Luncheon,
- The Certification and Business Development Workshop
- The Peoria African American Summit
- Peoria Pocket Parks projects