If you plan to teach in public schools, you'll need to obtain a license.

All education candidates must take and pass the required Illinois State tests. The Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP, formerly Basic Skills Test) must be passed prior to student teaching. The TAP test may be waived by obtaining proof of meeting the required minimum ACT composite and writing score, or the required minimum SAT composite and writing and language score. The Score Report must meet the following requirements:


  • Prior to 9/1/15 - Composite score of 22 or higher and a minimum score of 19 on the Combined English/writing portion
  • 9/1/15 to 9/9/16 - Composite score of 22 or higher and a minimum score of 16 on the writing portion
  • 9/10/16 and later – Composite score of 22 or higher and a minimum score of 6 on the writing portion


  • Prior to 3/5/16 - Composite score of 1030 (critical reading + mathematics = 1030 or higher) and a minimum score of 450 on writing
  • 3/5/16 and later - Composite score of 1110 (evidence-based reading and writing + mathematics = 1110 or higher) and a minimum score of 26 on writing and language

It is highly recommended to waive the TAP with the ACT or SAT due to the difficulty in passing the TAP. Each candidate will also be required to pass the respective Illinois State content area test prior to student teaching. In addition, the edTPA is a student teacher performance assessment that must be completed during student teaching and a passing score received for licensure.

Post-bachelor seeking students who are pursuing licensure must also complete the same program requirements. To apply, please create an account in Admissions. You will apply for a second undergraduate degree, and then have your official college transcripts sent to Bradley. Depending on the licensure area, you may not need to pursue an undergraduate degree but only take the required teacher education coursework. Once you have been admitted and your coursework evaluated, the Teacher Education department will advise you which direction is best to become a licensed teacher. If you have any questions with the application process, please contact the Admissions Office at (309) 677-1000 or email If you are needing coursework to fulfill an endorsement, you will apply in the Graduate School as a non-degree seeking student. For questions, please call (309) 677-2375 or email

To see how our candidates are performing, please see Candidate Performance Data.

Our programs specifically address the standards set forth in the State of Illinois Professional Teaching Standards and those specified in the NCATE/CAEP standards. This alignment of coursework, projects, assignments and experiences ensures that students are well prepared to obtain certification and licensure.