Non-Resident Credit

Transfer Credit From Collegiate Institutions

Credits from collegiate institutions that are accredited by one of the regional accrediting associations such as the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools will be considered for acceptance at Bradley University. Credit from other universities, including foreign universities, will be evaluated for possible transfer on a case-by-case basis. Official transcripts of credit must be requested by the student and received by Bradley directly from the institution at which the credit was earned. Application of transfer credits to satisfy general education requirements shall be determined by the Associate Dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. Acceptance will be based on comparability of the transfer work with the nature, content and level of work offered at Bradley. Bradley University will not accept for credit the transfer of physical activity courses. Application of transfer credits to satisfy specific college graduation requirements shall be determined by the dean of the college in which the student is majoring. In the event that a student changes majors while at Bradley, a new evaluation of credit will be made. Courses with grades of “D” from a particular institution will be considered for transfer only if the student’s cumulative grade average at that institution is at least 2.0 out of 4.0 at the time of transfer. The grade average for subsequent evaluations will be calculated only on the work not yet recorded on the Bradley permanent scholastic record. Once work with D grades has been evaluated and denied, it will not be evaluated again with work taken at a later time. (In some majors, D credit for transfer work does not count to fulfill specific requirements in that major.) Grades earned in transferable credits are posted on the student’s permanent record solely for the purpose of advisement and evaluation by the department chair and dean of the college in which the student is enrolled. A maximum of 66 semester hours of credit will be accepted from two-year colleges. If other institutions are using a quarter hour system, those hours will be converted to semester hours. Only work taken at the junior-senior level at the source institution will be counted toward meeting the requirement for junior-senior level work at Bradley.

Transfer Credit for Students New to Bradley

For students who have not enrolled at Bradley previously, official transcripts of credit from other institutions must be mailed directly from the institution at which the credit was earned to the Admissions Office at Bradley University for evaluation.

Work Taken at Other Collegiate Institutions by Regular Bradley Students

All conditions of acceptance of transfer credit apply to work taken at other collegiate institutions by continuing Bradley students. Students should obtain written approval from the dean of the college in which they are majoring before registering at the other institution. If the credit is to fulfill General Education requirements at Bradley, the written approval must come from the Associate Dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. Unless such written approval is given, students electing to take courses at another institution have no guarantee that the credit will be accepted at Bradley. Continuing Bradley students should request the other institution to send an official transcript of credit directly to the Registrar’s Office at Bradley. If the other institution is using a quarter hour system, those hours will be converted to semester hours.

Seniors who take work at another institution to complete degree requirements at Bradley must file proof of registration for that work in the form of a letter from the Registrar of that institution. This letter must be received in the Bradley Registrar’s Office by the end of the third full week of classes. The work must be completed by the time of Bradley’s Commencement. The diploma will be awarded after receipt by the Bradley Registrar’s Office of an official transcript of credits from the other institution.

Level of Transfer Credit

Transfer credit shall be accepted on the same level on which the work was offered at the source institution. For example, courses taught at the source institution on the freshman level will be accepted for credit on the freshman level at Bradley. No junior-senior credit will be given for work taken at a two-year college.

Credit by Correspondence and Extension

Students wishing to take correspondence or extension courses for transfer purposes must have the prior written approval of their dean. A total of thirty semester hours through extension and correspondence, with a maximum nine semester hours of correspondence, will be permitted to count toward graduation, except in the College of Engineering and Technology. In the College of Engineering and Technology, a maximum of ten semester hours of credit taken by correspondence and extension may be counted toward graduation.

Examination for Advanced Placement

Credit may be given in courses covered by Advanced Placement Examinations offered by the College Board if the score received is three or higher. The number of semester hours of credit allowed is determined by the extent of the college work covered by this examination, as recommended by the department offering the work at Bradley. Inquiries should be directed to the Admissions Office.

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)

Bradley University accepts up to 60 semester hours of credit for those who earn scores on CLEP general and subject exams in the 50th percentile or higher. Some of these hours may be used to satisfy general education requirements. CLEP credit is transfer credit. Students wishing to transfer CLEP hours to Bradley may do so by directing the CLEP office to forward official score results to Undergraduate Admissions at Bradley University. Because CLEP credit is transfer credit, it cannot duplicate credit already earned from another source.

CLEP credit may be applied in the following ways to satisfy general education requirements.

  • General Examinations. The five general exams are offered on these subjects: College Mathematics, English Composition with Essay, the Humanities, Natural Sciences, Social Sciences and History. Each test provides 6 semester hours of credit.
  • Subject Examinations. Bradley accepts CLEP credit for 24 subject exams.

Not all CLEP exams are approved for credit at Bradley. If you have questions about how CLEP credit applies to Bradley, please consult the following:

  • Your advisor, if you are currently enrolled at Bradley.
  • Undergraduate Admissions, if you are a student new to Bradley.

For more information about testing sites or other details, contact CLEP at (609) 771-7865 or www.collegeboard. com/clep.

Credit by Proficiency Examination

Credit by proficiency examination is classified as non-residence credit. Upon presentation of acceptable evidence of competence, students enrolled in the University may apply for permission to attempt to earn credit by examination in certain undergraduate subjects. Applications for such examinations will be submitted to the chairperson of the department that offers the course, who will, if the application is approved, arrange for the administration of the examination. Students receiving approval to attempt to earn credit by examination will pay a non-refundable fee of $50.00 for the examination for each course number listed in the catalog. This fee must be paid before the examination is taken. Students who have had no previous college experience, and who have been admitted as full-time students, may apply for permission to attempt credit by examination in certain undergraduate subjects. Such examination will be taken prior to the student’s second registration. Credit, but no grade, will be recorded for examinations passed. Grades for examinations taken after the student’s second registration will be entered on the permanent record. Students shall have the option of requesting either a letter grade or a grade of Pass/Fail. A grade of “C” or better will be considered a passing grade for both options. A grade of “D” is not acceptable for a proficiency examination. The option selected must be agreed upon by the student and the department offering the course at the time of application application for the examination. Because credit by proficiency is not considered residence credit, grades are not computed in the student’s cumulative grade point average. Seniors may not take examinations for credit toward any degree in courses which are numbered below 300. Application blanks are available in the dean’s or Registrar’s Office.

Departmental Prerequisite Examinations (Not for Credit)

At the discretion of the department offering the course, regularly enrolled students of the University may be allowed to take a special examination in any course offered by the department in order to satisfy prerequisites for subsequent courses. Before a student will be permitted to take a prerequisite examination, a $50.00 fee for each course number listed in the catalog must be paid to the Controller’s Office.

A prerequisite examination carries no University credit and no grade. Upon successful completion of a prerequisite examination an appropriate entry will be made on the permanent record of the student.

This Catalog represents the University’s best effort to communicate information on academic programs, policies, rules, and regulations that were in effect at the time of its publication. Students should be aware that the University reserves the right to modify these programs, policies, rules, and regulations at any time within a student’s term of residence. The University’s policy is to provide notice of any such modifications sufficiently in advance of their implementation to ensure adjustments without undue inconvenience. Before pre-registering for any academic term, students should contact the administrative office of their academic department or college to verify the most current information.

This is the official catalog for the 2010-2011 academic year. This catalog serves as a contract between a student and Bradley University. Should changes in a program of study become necessary prior to the next academic year every effort will be made to keep students advised of any such changes via the Dean of the College or Chair of the Department concerned, the Registrar's Office, u.Achieve degree audit system, and the Schedule of Classes. It is the responsibility of each student to be aware of the current program and graduation requirements for particular degree programs.