Women's and Gender Studies Program
FACULTY Scott (Director), Blouch, Coy, Craig, Etaugh, Fry, Glassmeyer, Glover, Hawkins, Herbert, Hogan, Lambie, Linn, Perry, Portocarrero, Schmidt, Schifeling, Toxqui, Williams, Worley, Young.
Women’s and Gender Studies is an interdisciplinary field of study which takes gender as its central category of analysis. It focuses on the social construction of gender identity, gender relations, and gender systems and explores the intersections of gender with other categories of identity. The primary objectives of Women's and Gender Studies are:
- to integrate knowledge abut women and gender into the scholarship of various disciplines and professions across the university by promoting student engagement with feminist discourses and practices;
- to understand that gender is foundational to the functioning of social, cultural, economic, and aesthetic systems;
- to understand that gender always intersects with multiple and complex categories of identity, including race, ethnicity, class, sexuality, and nationality;
- to understand representations and realities fo gender in local, national, and global contexts;
- to promote social justice and gender equality by creating connections between the classroom and the community.
Minor In Women’s And Gender Studies
Required Courses (6 hours)
- WGS 200 Introduction to Women’s and Gender Studies - 3 hrs.
- WGS 400 Directed Research in Women’s and Gender Studies - 3 hrs.
Electives (9 hours)
- ART 490 Art Seminar (Gender in Art) - 3 hrs.
- ART 490 Art Seminar (Women in Art) - 3 hrs.
- BLW 446 Employment Law - 3 hrs.
- COM 386 Media, Race, and Gender - 3 hrs.
- EHC 381-Seminar in Leadership (Topics: Advocacy, Servant Leadership, or Gender and Leadership) - 1 hr.
- ENG 129 African American Literature - 3 hrs.
- ENG 190 Women in Literature - 3 hrs.
- ENG 331 Studies in Women Writers - 3 hrs.
- ENG 347 Shakespeare - 3 hrs.
- HIS 304 Women in American History - 3 hrs.
- HIS 315 Social Movements in U.S. History - 3 hrs.
- HIS 317 American Masculinities - 3 hrs.
- HIS 334 Women in Developing Nations - 3 hrs.
- HIS 339 Women in Global Perspective - 3 hrs.
- HIS 382 European Women and Gender Since the Renaissance - 3 hrs.
- NUR 217 Men's Health Issues - 2 hrs.
- NUR 219 Women and Health - 3 hrs.
- NUR 263 Introduction to Personal and Community Health - 3 hrs.
- NUR 376 Advanced Concepts in Health - 3 hrs.
- PLS 493 Seminar in Political Theory: Equality, Diversity, and Citizenship - 3 hrs.
- PSY 300 Psychology of Women - 3 hrs.
- PSY 309 Human Sexuality - 3 hrs.
- SOC 210 Sociology of Families - 3 hrs.
- SOC 300 Cross-cultural Perspectives on Gender - 3 hrs.
- SOC 311 Comparative Family Systems - 3 hrs.
- SOC 313 Race, Ethnicity, and Power - 3 hrs.
- SOC 315 Gender and Society - 3 hrs.
- WGS 300 Internship in Women's and Gender Studies - 0-3 hrs.
- WLS 345 Women's Voices of Latin America - 3 hrs.
- WLS 346 Women's Voices of Spain - 3 hrs.