Foreign Travel Policy

Persons traveling overseas are encouraged to obtain a University travel credit card to use for business purposes. Applications for new cards must be submitted to the Accounts Payable/Purchasing Department three weeks prior to travel.   

The Bradley University Travel Expense Reimbursement Policy and Procedures apply to all foreign travel.  

In addition to the substantiation and documentation requirements, an itinerary of the foreign travel should be provided for any travel card expenses. Cash conversions require documentation of the exchange rate at the time of conversion.  Exchange rate conversion as provided on the Bradley Travel Card statement can be used.  Additionally, most receipts for the conversion of cash will provide the conversion rate.  When this is not possible, the exchange rates for the period of travel need to be determined and the reimbursement will be based on an average exchange rate for that period.

Any expense not subject to the per diem must be substantiated by actual receipts or written documentation detailing the recipient, name and number of attendees (if applicable), purpose, date and place.

An employee on foreign travel will need to use the Foreign per diem for the country in which they are traveling for a maximum reimbursement of $60 per-diem rate for meals and incidentals. For days of travel, the rate will be based on 75% of the per diem rate for a max of $45. Website A cash advance may be secured for foreign travel if the travel exceeds 10 days.  Meals and incidentals subject to the per diem rates cannot be charged to the university credit card.

 Foreign Travel on Restricted Funds.  

The traveler must comply with the travel requirements of the sponsoring agency, including all applicable OMB Circulars and state requirements.  The following restrictions apply to sponsored project travel:

  1. Foreign travel on sponsored project funds is restricted to individuals who are directly associated with the scope and purpose of the project.
  2. Foreign travel costs are allowable only when specific funds for foreign travel are provided in the sponsored agreement.  Such travel may also require specific sponsor approval.
  3. Foreign travel funded by the U.S. government is booked on a U.S. flag carrier if available.  Deviations or exceptions are specifically approved in advance by the sponsoring agency.

Any employee traveling on University business to countries outside the United States must adhere to the United States Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA).

Basically, the anti-bribery provisions of the FCPA make it unlawful for a U.S. person to make a corrupt payment to a foreign official for the purpose of obtaining or retaining business for or with, or directing business to, any person.