Slane College of Communications and Fine Arts - Assistant Professor in Residence or Instructor in Residence of Music, Director of Bands (Non-Tenure-Track)
The NASM accredited Department of Music at Bradley University seeks a highly qualified and dynamic individual for the position of Director of Bands. Teaching assignments will include directing the Symphonic Winds, Symphonic Band, Basketball Band, and teaching Advanced Conducting, Instrumental Conducting, Marching Band Techniques, an instrumental methods course, and other assignments as appropriate. This is a full-time non-tenure-track position beginning August 25, 2021.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Teach courses as assigned, which includes Symphonic Band, Symphonic Winds, Basketball Band, two conducting courses, Marching Band Techniques and an instrumental techniques course (brass, woodwind, or percussion, depending on the candidate’s skill set).
- Coordinate the Bradley Freshman/Sophomore Honor Band during the fall semester.
- Coordinate the Bradley Honor Band during the spring semester.
- Maintain regular office hours at times reasonably convenient to students.
- Serve as an advisor and mentor to students.
- Engage in meaningful and useful service that promotes department, college and university strategic goals and priorities, commensurate to rank.
- Develop and maintain strong links with music alumni and professional organizations.
- An appropriate master’s degree is required for appointment at the rank of Instructor in Residence
- An appropriate terminal degree is required for appointment at the rank of Assistant Professor in Residence
- Outstanding conducting skills
- Teaching experience in a collegiate environment, both as a conductor and classroom teacher
- Superior musical and interpersonal skills
Electronic submission is required. To ensure full consideration, application material should be received by June 1, 2021. Review of applications will continue until position is filled.
Qualified candidates should email all application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org in digital PDF format, including:
- Letter of application addressing qualifications for the position
- Curriculum vitae
- Evidence of successful conducting at the collegiate level, including videos
- Evidence of successful teaching. Such evidence may include course syllabi, teaching philosophy, and links to videos of teaching
- Complete contact information, including email address, from three professional references
Send applications to:
Department of Music
Peoria, IL 61625
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Employment with Bradley University is contingent upon satisfactory criminal background check. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Bradley University is a top ranked, prestigious private university in Peoria, Illinois, offering nearly 6,000 undergraduate and graduate students the opportunities, choices and resources of a larger university and the personal attention and exceptional learning experience of a smaller university. Bradley offers a comprehensive array of undergraduate and gradate academic programs in business, communication, education, engineering, fine arts, health sciences, liberal arts and sciences, and technology. The University is located on an 85-acre campus in Peoria, the largest metropolitan area in Central Illinois.
The Department of Music is one of five departments in the Slane College of Communications and Fine Arts. The department consists of 10 full-time faculty and staff, 18 part-time and 120 music majors and minors. Degrees offered by the Department of Music include: Bachelor of Science/Arts in Music, Bachelor of Science/Arts in Music Business, Bachelor of Science /Arts in Music Entertainment Industry, Bachelor of Music in Muisc Education, Bachelor of Music in Performance, and Bachelor of Music in Composition.
For additional information about the Slane College of Communication and Fine Arts and the Department of Music visit: www.bradley.edu/academic/colleges/cfa/ and www.bradley.edu/academic/departments/music/
Bradley University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The administration, faculty and staff are committed to attracting qualified candidates from underrepresented groups.