Slane College of Communications and Fine Arts – Department of Art and Design, Assistant Professor of Art in Residence (Art History)
The Department of Art and Design at Bradley University, located in Peoria IL., seeks applicants for the position of Assistant Professor of Art in Residence to teach required and elective courses in Art History beginning August 2021. This is a full-time, non-tenure track position.
Candidates must be able to teach introductory survey courses as well as upper level courses in Art History, ideally, fitted to the applicant’s area of expertise. Administrative duties include supervising the Art History program and overseeing exhibitions across the university’s two on-campus galleries and in collaboration with the art community at large.
- Teaching load of three courses per semester
- Student advising, curriculum development, service to the department, the institution, and the community
- Grant writing
- Overseeing the operation of the two on-campus galleries, as well as collaborative exhibitions and shows with the community
- Engage in meaningful and useful service that promotes department, college and university strategic goals and priorities
- A Doctorate in Art History (preferred)
- An MFA, or appropriate qualification in a closely related field (considered)
- Preference will be given to applicants with a record of appropriate successful college teaching experience
- Experience in gallery management and exhibit installation
Qualified candidates should submit the following materials in PDF format:
- Letter of intent addressing position qualifications, evidence of teaching effectiveness and contributions to diversity and inclusiveness
- Teaching philosophy
- Writing Sample (published article or article-length writing sample)
- Sample syllabi (two)
- Contact information for 3 professional references
Please submit your materials, in one email, to email@example.com.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To ensure full consideration, application material should be received by MARCH 1st 2021. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled. Employment with Bradley University is contingent upon satisfactory criminal background check. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Bradley University is a top-ranked, prestigious, private university in Peoria, Illinois, offering nearly 6,000 undergraduate and graduate students the opportunities, choices and resources of a larger university and the personal attention and exceptional learning experience of a smaller university. Bradley offers a comprehensive array of undergraduate and graduate academic programs in business, communications, education, engineering, fine arts, health sciences, liberal arts and sciences, and technology. The university is located on an 85-acre campus in Peoria, the largest metropolitan area in Central Illinois. Visit www.bradley.edu for additional information about the University.
As part of the endowed Slane College of Communications and Fine Arts, the Department of Art and Design is accredited by the National Association of Art & Design, (NASAD). It has 103 majors and approx. 70 minors and is housed in the Heuser Art Center. With (BFA/BA/BS) undergraduate concentrations in Painting, Drawing, Graphic Design, Printmaking, Sculpture, Ceramics and Art History (BA) as well as an MA/MFA program. The facility houses a 1200 sq. ft. gallery and 3 floors of studio spaces, photography darkrooms and a 60-seat lecture hall. Graphic Design courses are taught in the Caterpillar Global Communications Center, a multi-million-dollar, state-of-the-art facility housing multi-purpose media labs, video conferencing facilities, digital audio and video editing facilities, and high-end interactive-media-equipped classrooms. Peoria is located midway between Chicago and St. Louis. A locally active arts community includes ballet, symphony, and theater. The region supports the Riverfront Museum, the Peoria Art Guild and the Contemporary Art Center. Peoria is home to a vibrant art community as well as a range of design and marketing agencies, plus several companies with international operations and major medical facilities.
For additional information about the Slane College of Communication and Fine Arts and the Department of Art and Design visit: www.bradley.edu/academic/colleges/cfa/ and www.bradley.edu/academic/departments/art/
Bradley University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The administration, faculty and staff are committed to attracting qualified candidates from underrepresented groups.