Bradley Student Newspaper Awarded by Illinois College Press Association
March 4, 2020
Student staff members of Bradley University's student newspaper, The Scout, recently attended the Illinois College Press Association (ICPA) in Chicago and took home 12 awards. Three of the awards are in open categories and nine are in division categories. The award winners are listed below.
Open Categories - For the open categories, The Scout competed with publications from 26 other universities or colleges in Illinois. The two "special supplement" awards were the most competitive awards at this year's ICPA.
- 3rd place in Graphic Illustrations: Erin Martiens
- Honorable Mention in Entertainment Supplement: The Scout staff (2019 Halloween edition)
- Honorable Mention in Special Supplement: The Scout staff (2019 Basketball post-season special edition)
Division Categories - The Scout falls under the "Non-daily paper, over 4,000 student enrollment" division. This put them in competition with 11 schools.
- 1st place in Sports Page Design: Logan Pfalzgraf
- 1st place in Sports Feature Story: Justin Limoges
- 2nd place in Sports Page Design: Carson Allen
- 2nd place in Column (excluding sports): Meghan Anderson
- 3rd place in Sports Game Story: Anthony Landahl, Ronan Khalsa & Justin Limoges
- 3rd place in Feature Story (other than sports): Anthony Landahl & Angeline Schmelzer
- Honorable Mention in Sports Column: Larry Larson
- Honorable Mention in Column (excluding sports): Jade Sewell
- Honorable Mention in News Story: Haley Johnson
Two staff members of The Scout also hosted a panel discussion for students at the conference. The panel, titled "Stop hesitating, produce a podcast and jump-start your journalism skills set," was hosted by Assistant Sports Editor Larry Larson and Sports Podcast Producer Joey Wright. The two shared their podcasting and sports reporting experiences.
Student editor-in-chief Tony Xu said, “I am very proud of everyone at The Scout and am very happy to see our work has stood out among our peers. It takes a village to produce a paper every week.” The Scout’s adviser, Chris Kaergard, added, “The work our student journalists at The Scout did this past year was exemplary, and helped tell some really great stories about our campus. But I'm also proud of the work the staff has done to expand online these last two years - with a more vibrant website, improved social media presence, podcasts, and a weekly newsletter. All that has been student-led, and it helps make sure we stay relevant into the future for students.”
Header photo (L to R):
Back row: Ronan Khalsa (sports editor), Jade Sewell (voice editor), Hernan Gutierrez (sports reporter), Haley Johnson (news editor), Angeline Schmelzer (assistant news editor)
Front row: Tony Xu (editor-in-chief), Erin Martiens (design editor), Blake McBride (assistant voice editor), Veronica Blascoe (copy editor), Anthony Landahl (managing editor).
Side photo (L to R):
Larry Larson (assistant sports editor), Joey Wright (podcast producer).