Brand Usage Approvals and Licensing

Legal Background

Bradley University’s name is registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, and the university has exclusive ownership rights regarding name usage. This means the university may regulate, promote and protect name and logo use whenever used. Because of this, any Bradley unit or affiliate needs approval to use the university’s name and logo.

Bradley’s Office of Marketing and Communications partners with Learfield Licensing Partners to ensure trademarked logos and names are used on high-quality, socially responsible and appropriate merchandise and apparel.

Licensing/Approval Guidelines

  • Brand approval is required for all signs, banners and table drapes. This ensures that often costly items with long-lasting visual impact accurately reflect the Bradley brand. Brand approval is obtained by sending a PDF of the layout to, which is monitored by the Office of Marketing and Communications. Please refer to the signage approval flowchart for more information.
  • Licensing is required for promotional products such as T-shirts, sweatshirts and other apparel; key chains, pens, USB/thumb drives and similar small giveaways; tumblers, mugs and other drink ware. Licensing (with brand approval) happens through licensed vendors in an online background process in partnership with Learfield. Unauthorized vendors are prohibited from using the Bradley trademarks.
  • Licensing is not required but brand approval is suggested for print materials such as fliers, brochures and small posters. While licensing is not required for these items, the Office of Marketing and Communications will gladly review your print piece for brand approval within a day; please send your layout to

Licensing Program: Merchandise

Off campus, the trademark licensing program creates a cooperative working relationship between vendors, the university and Learfield.

Two types of vendor licenses are available:

  • A standard license is for all commercial uses that include sale of items being licensed. This requires an associated royalty fee.
  • An internal license allows campus units to order items for their own use (e.g., team shirts, giveaways, etc.) without having to pay a royalty fee.

Licensed Vendors

Current Licensed Vendors List

A current list of the university’s licensed vendors is available on the Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC) website at If you have a specific product in mind, you can find it in Step 1, Pick a Product Category button. If you just want to know if a vendor is licensed, find them under the Step 2 Pick a School button.

Becoming a Licensed Vendor

Any person, organization or corporation wishing to manufacture with the university name and/or logo, or to provide a service that will use the name and/or logo, must enter a licensing agreement.

Vendors wishing to become licensed can obtain an application at Along with a completed application, vendors will be required to submit product samples, proof of insurance and a nominal fee. All vendor questions regarding the application and approval process should be directed to CLC.

Working with CLC as a Licensed Vendor

In addition to the application and license renewal processes, CLC manages royalty reporting, artwork approvals, enforcement, promotions and general administration of Bradley’s licensees. For additional information visit:

Violations of Licensing

Items bearing Bradley’s name and/or logo without a license may be considered “counterfeit” and subject to all available legal remedies, including seizure of the items. Additionally, licensed vendors who fail to submit designs for pre-production approval may have their license revoked.