All-Student Quarantine Enforcement and Disciplinary update
Greetings Bradley Community,
We are one week into our two-week quarantine, so I’d like to bring you up to date on a few things.
As of Sept. 15, we have had over 250 total COVID-19 positive cases since Aug 24. These positive cases come from testing done on and off campus. As you know, the number of active COVID-19 cases fluctuates based on identification of new cases and when individuals exit isolation status. The COVID-19 dashboard has been modified to provide more up-to-date data and is updated every weekday by 11 a.m. to reflect the previous day's data.
It has been made clear to me, by many of you, changes to our enforcement was essential to our success moving forward. I want to assure you we are monitoring behaviors closely. We have changed several of our practices and have increased our efforts to monitor for violations. We have already begun implementing our enforcement efforts and in the past week have issued:
- 10 written warnings
- 11 $250 fines
- Three pending situations where students may be banned from campus
- One pending situation where students may be suspended for the remainder of the academic year
Some of the behaviors that led to disciplinary action include lack of physical distancing, mask-wearing violations, leaving campus for non-essential errands (including visiting bars) and having guests in their rooms, apartments or off-campus residences. We will continue to monitor behavior, respond to non-compliance complaints and take corrective action as needed.
Finally, please know we are working diligently to test and track new cases and take appropriate action to stem the spread of COVID-19 in our campus community. If you choose to take a COVID-19 test elsewhere, you should notify Health Services immediately if you receive a positive test result. Additionally, you must self-isolate while your test result is pending. Here is how you can help ensure we can stay on campus until Thanksgiving as planned:
- Understand it. Review and live by the mandatory all-student quarantine guidelines communicated in the Sept. 8 email. As a reminder, residence hall students are not allowed to visit off-campus eating establishments. Those living off-campus may only make limited trips for essential items (consider delivery instead).
- Live it. Continue to hold yourself accountable to the mandatory all-student quarantine guidelines.
- Own it. Continue to hold those around you accountable to the mandatory all-student quarantine guidelines. All students, faculty and staff are encouraged to help monitor behavior. If you see concerning activity, report it to COVID19concerns@bradley.edu or fill out the noncompliance form online. For an immediate response, contact 309-677-2000.
Continue to lean on each other and keep an eye on your friends, classmates and colleagues. Our Counseling Services continues to take virtual appointments and can be reached at (309) 677-2700. Our student organizations continue to provide virtual opportunities, and ACBU has put together several virtual programs as well. I still believe we can get this under control and remain on campus through Thanksgiving as planned, but it will take all of us working together.
President, Bradley University
–Sent to the Bradley community on 09/16/2020
Share this story