QM is designed as a means to provide:
- Improved student learning outcomes and retention
- Ongoing faculty development
- A process for systematic, comprehensive quality assurance
- Support for institutional assessment
- Incorporation of new research findings for online learning
Quality Matters consists of research-based, faculty-driven standards comprised in a concise rubric that is continually updated. QM also consists of professional development and formal and informal peer-review and self-review processes.