Federal Proposal Preparation
Preparing Letter of Intents, Pre-Proposals, Full Proposals, etc. on Federal Websites
Grants.gov → Used for most federal proposals
- Prepare a workspace on Grants.gov
- Login to grants.gov
- If you know the Funding Opportunity Number and Opportunity Package ID, go to the Applicants menu and select Apply Now.
- Select the desired opportunity. The Funding Opportunity Number will be found in the Synopsis tab and the Opportunity Package ID in the Package tab. Copy both.
- Select the Apply button in the upper right of the screen.
- The Funding Opportunity should be prepopulated but the Opportunity Package ID may not be. Enter the Opportunity Package ID and Funding Opportunity Number, if necessary.
- Enter an Application Filing Name (can be just about anything), but it is advisable to use something that you and your collaborators will easily recognize in their account. (Note: You can edit the name of the Workspace at a later time on the Manage Workspace page).
- Complete the requested information for the proposal (listed as Mandatory) within the Workspace.
- Before requesting an Authorized Organization Representative (AOR) to submit the application, click the Check Application button within workspace. After the status of all forms is "Passed" and you are ready to submit the application, contact firstname.lastname@example.org so that an AOR can Sign and Submit the Only an AOR, not PIs/PDs, can submit proposals on behalf of the University.
Video Instructions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOjwumQz0G8&t=52s
If you do not know the Funding Opportunity Number and Opportunity Package ID, go to the Search Grants menu and find the desired announcement.
Video Instructions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtU0b9863ag&t=31s
Research.gov → Used for NSF Proposals (many can also be submitted with grants.gov)
Video for Preparing a Proposal on research.gov: https://www.research.gov/common/attachment/Desktop/psmvideo6.html
- Login to research.gov
- Select Prepare and Submit Proposals from the Proposals Menu
- Click Continue to Proposal System
- If you have not previously started the submission, select the appropriate document (e.g., Letter of Intent) from the Prepare New drop-down menu
- Click the radio button for the appropriate Funding Opportunity Number and complete the necessary steps.
- If you are return to complete work on a submission, repeat step 1-3 upon returning, but select the appropriate document (e.g., Letter of Intent) from the liz007
- drop-down menu.
eRA Commons (era.nih.gov) → Used for NIH Proposals (Grants.gov can also be used)
- The eRA module used to prepare, submit, and track proposals is Application Submission System & Interface for Submission Tracking (ASSIST)
- Link for Instructions for using ASSIST: https://grants.nih.gov/grants/how-to-apply-application-guide/prepare-to-apply-and-register/submission-options/assist.htm