Olin Hall 103
Ph.D., Research: Neuroendocrine regulation of proton and chloride transporters, University of Arizona
M.S., Biology, University of Wisconsin
B.S., Zoology, University of Wisconsin
Dr. Cady completed an NIH fellowship in the Neurology Department at Southern Illinois University School of Medicine investigating the effects of aging on the brain as related to neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease. He has published papers on age-related changes in neuron function, how to extend neuron survival and how estrogen protects the brain from neurodegenerative disease. As the director of the Bohlander Stem Cell Research Laboratory in the Biology Department at Bradley University he is actively investigating a diverse range of topics in regenerative medicine beyond neurodegenerative diseases. Research projects include investigating an autologous stem cell-based therapy for ovarian and pancreatic cancer, production of cardiomyocytes and pacemaker cells from hiPS stem cells, the first to create parathyroid hormone producing cells from adult stem cells. Newest research project is a team effort to develop an implantable artificial lung having nanofiber material lined with stem cell derived endothelial cells to reduce tissue rejection. Dr. Cady’s laboratory worked with an international team that for the first time transplanted a nanofiber trachea lined with stem cells into a 3-year-old girl born without a functioning trachea.
Neurophysiology, Endocrinology, Pathophysiology, Human Physiology
- Struble RG, Cady C, Nathan BP, McAsey ME. Apolipoprotein E may be a critical factor in hormone therapy neuroprotection. Frontiers in Bioscience, 2008; 13:5387-405.
- Cheng X, McAsey ME, Li M, Randall S, Cady C, Nathan B, Struggle R. Estradiol replacement increases the low-density lipoprotein receptor related protein (LRP) in the mouse brain. Neuroscience Letters 2007. 417:50-54.
- Gupta A, Cady C., Fauser, AM., Rodriguez HC., Mistovich J., Potty A., Maffulli. N. Cell-free stem cell extract formulation for regenerative medicine applications. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 21 (24), 9364, 2020.
- Gupta A,, Potty A., Ganta, D., Mistovich J, Penna S., Cady C., Potty A. Streamling the KOOS activities of daily living subscale using machine learning. Orthopedic J. Sports Medicine. 8(3) 2325967120910447, 2020.
- Gupta A., Main B., Taylor B., Gupta Manu., Whitworth C., Cady C., Freeman J., El-Amin S. In vitro evaluation of three-dimensional single-walled carbon nanotube composites for bone tissue engineering. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, 102A(11), 4118-41126, 2014.
- Gupta A, Woods, MD, Thomas, J., Yuan Y, Niemeier R, Schafer I, Filip P. Cady C, El-Amin SF. Evaluation of single walled carbon nanotubes composites for bone tissue engineering. Journal of Orthopedic Research, 2013.
ProfMinute: "Stem Cell Research"
Details: “Stem Cell Research Laboratory”