Master of Science in Biology
The graduate degree in biology is a 32-hour program that enhances your understanding of biology to pursue a professional career or doctoral studies.
Preparing You for Success
The degree sharpens your research skills as you study advanced biology concepts. Though focused on one area of science, the degree allows you to take several courses outside the department to round out the degree. You complete the degree with a comprehensive oral exam and yearlong thesis research project.
You can earn your degree two ways at Bradley: take the traditional graduate two-year path or enroll in the five-year integrated degree as a Bradley undergraduate. If you’re interested in the accelerated degree, you apply as a junior and begin graduate courses as a senior.
Making Your Mark
Biology graduate degrees are valuable for admission to professional schools or doctoral programs. Many recent graduates are working for research labs, school districts and community colleges.
Graduate Program Requirements
Required Courses - 7 hrs.
- BIO 500: Thesis Proposal Preparation - 1 hr.
- BIO 699: Thesis - 6 hrs.
Elective Courses Group A - 15 hrs.
- BIO 502: Biometry - 3 hrs.
- BIO 503: Molecular Genetics - 3 hrs.
- BIO 505: Topics in Bioethics - 3 hrs.
- BIO 506: Advanced Microbiology - 3 hrs.
- BIO 508: Advanced Bacterial Pathogenesis - 3 hrs.
- BIO 509: Human Genetics - 3 hrs.
- BIO 517: Environmental Physiology - 3 hrs.
- BIO 519: Comparative Animal Behavior - 3 hrs.
- BIO 520: Advanced Ecosystems Ecology - 3 hrs.
- BIO 525: Advanced Physiology - 3 hrs.
- BIO 526: Advanced Pathophysiology - 3 hrs.
- BIO 527: Physiology of Anesthesia - 3 hrs.
- BIO 530: Plant Systematics - 3 hrs.
- BIO 540: Evolution - 3 hrs.
- BIO 550: Conservation Biology - 3 hrs.
- BIO 563: Advanced Plant Ecology - 3 hrs.
- BIO 564: Advanced Cell Biology - 3 hrs.
- BIO 568: Cellular and Molecular Immunology - 3 hrs.
- BIO 575: Special Graduate Topics in Biology - 3 hrs.
- BIO 582: Endocrinology - 3 hrs.
- BIO 583: Stem Cell Biology and Tissue Regeneration - 3 hrs.
- BIO 584: Neurophysiology - 3 hrs.
Elective Courses Group B - 10 hrs.
- BIO 580: Reading - 1-6 hrs.
- BIO 585: Research - 1-6 hrs.
- BIO 681: Readings - 1-6 hrs.
- BIO 683: Research - 1-6 hrs.
Note: A total of 12 hours must be at the 600 level.